protecting / painting wpb plywood for outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am remaking a box on my trailer out of wpb ply because the last one has shed its skin and is falling apart after only a couple of years!
what covering and process would you use to stop the ply falling apart and keep it lasting a lot longer
thanks

Sponsored Links
Marine ply would have been the ideal choice but failing that then prime , undercoat and gloss should do the trick. I'm actually going to refurb my own trailer and I'm using wbp as well because I've got it for free and I'm basically too mean to buy marine ply.
It may be as well posting this in the decorating forum or asking the mods to move this thread.

thanks for the reply, i did post this in both forums because of different experiences of ppes working with paint and timber
marine ply was far to expensive i need 6 sheets in total and figured provided it was better protectectd it would do the same job, the last one was painted with undercoat and the then black gossed looked really good but didnt last long! used wickes paint ,maybe need ed more coats only done 2 unders and 1 gloss

Sponsored Links
Epoxy resin is about the most weather resistant coating you can apply. If you fillet the corners too it'll add some structural strength.

I'd give it three coats of west systems epoxy and then cover it in a 2 pack polyurethane top coat. It'll last forever as long as the coating is applied front and back and remains intact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back