Protecting slate tiled gabel end? HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just had a week at our holiday home (money pit) in France and the roof end is not great. I need to replace the timber you can see in the pictures (around a 1.5 metre length) then would like to seal/flash it.

Where you can see the decking that used to be an upstairs that was never rebuilt after falling down. That is why the roof just stops and the tiles seem to hang over slightly.

Lead flashing seems a fourtune as I will need around 8 meteres and it will need to be around 300mm wide. The roof is getting replaced at some point just not this year.

We can see a few beams of light from inside the bedroom-so can I cement/foam prior to flashing the end?????

Fairly handy but want to get this bit right. All help apprecited.[/img]
//media.diynot.com/181000_180663_41105_85939455_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/181000_180663_41106_96625522_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sorry Frogman, I can't see the photos at all well.
Can you upload them into your albums then post them on here.

You can't use lead in France, well you could but it would have to come off before you could sell the place.
Zinc is the norm.

I've used ubiflex on my house, in Brittany. it's about the same price as lead though.

Part 1:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=210516

Part 2:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=237971

If I could see your pictures clearly I might be able to advise.
Even if I copy and paste it into another application, then make it bigger it just becomes blurred.

Try this. I ahve spoke to a roofer today and he suggested replacing the rotten wood. Lift up the very end over lap, cement. Then flash, as you said using ubiflex. This advice was given without seeing it and did seem to make sense??

Sponsored Links
I assume that you are talking about the lower right corner piece of timber.

You certainly could use Ubiflex as a temporary repair. I don't know if you can buy it in France. I bought mine here and took it over. You can certainly get it 300mm wide. You can also get it in two colours.
You can cut it with tin snips quite easily, shape it like lead, etc. It's like thick roof felt with a mesh of aluminium embedded in it.
It's supposed to have a life of at least 25 years.

if you want a more temporary repair just use flashband which is easily available in France, although I've never seen anything wider than 100mm whereas you can get it at least 150mm wide here, maybe wider.
It's not as durable as Ubiflex. You could stick two lenghts of flashband 150mm wide bits together.

When you do the permament re-roof, you might like this, it's how I finished off my verges:
View media item 41122
That's normal roof tiles, fixed on the vertical side of the rafter. Each slate nailed on then the upper one covers it.
I just nipped the corner of each slate for effect. I'd seen it done on other houses and liked it. The bits sticking below are the purlins and wall plate.
It's a mortared verge with a slate undercloak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back