Proven with Worcester 24i boiler - timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am having a problem with our Worcester 24i boiler that I would be very grateful for any assistance with.

For the last 7 days or so the boiler has not been coming on automatically in the morning as it is set to do. I have noticed this behaviour since returning from being away when we changed the settings of the boiler to come on for a short time at several times of the day.

However, now it seems that when the boiler has been off for a while (overnight or when we are at work), the auto timer does not trigger the boiler into action. We get hot water from the tap, and can turn the heating on by changing the setting from Auto to On, and everything then works fine, even when switching the setting back to Auto.

It is very strange. I have checked the pressure, it is 1.5 bar normally rising to 2.5 + when the heating is on for a while.

It is getting very frustrating as we keep waking up and returning from work to a very cold house and it takes hours to get the house back up to temperature.

If anyone has any advice, I would be very grateful. Also, if any further information is needed, please let me know.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The i-series are nowhere near the quality of their bigger brothers, and tend to suffer from poor installation and lack of proper maintenance. Though it sounds like a timer problem, there could be other issues.

The excessive pressure rise indicates an expansion vessel problem. See FAQ.

The Worcester clocks seems to be a weak point. I have a spare one on my desk!

Its not a good idea to set boilers to only come on for a short period. Turn the roomstat down if you want less heat.

Tony

Many thanks both for your replies. I have read up on the PV issue with the rising pressure and will try and locate the PV fill valve this evening.

Question: do you think the PV issue could be causing the problem with the timer not clicking the boiler on, or is that definitely a dodgy timer? Tony: where is your desk, how much for the timer, and how easy are they to fit!?!?

Also, noted your advice on having the bolier on for short periods.

Sponsored Links
The timers seem to be a weak point with those boilers. I even keep one in stock!

Its not a good idea to set timers for short periods. Better to reduce room stat settings.

Tony

Thanks again.

I agree this looks like a timer issue. However, the only thing that suggests against this is that the timer only seems to fail when things are left alone for long periods of time. i.e. overnight or when we are at work.

When we are in the house, and are using hot water etc., the timer seems perfectly able to trigger the boiler into life.

Does this suggest any other issues that anyone knows about?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back