Pruning a mature bramley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have been asked to prune a mature bramley apple tree,the lady has asked me to be very gentle with it as someone in the past has butchered it.HELP

Sponsored Links
Paulandangie said:
dont do the job then.

depends on deffinition of butchered really doesnt it. last person may have done it properly, but not acording to owner.
not enough, you havent done it right, too much you are a butcher

Some jobs are not worth doing this sounds like one of them.

i think its a useful link, but as i said it depends on what the person who wants the job doing's deffinition of "too much / butchered

Sponsored Links
Could possibly crystallize their collective thoughts?

I know this is a little late but it may help others.
Pruning any apple tree between autumn and spring is done to produce growth and shape.
Light summer pruning induces fruit buds for the following year.

since the subjects reared its head again, it depends on what you want to achieve. If you are after how it looks than prune it to suit your desires! If you are pruning it to produce fruit and promote growth you should aim for the goblet shape. This means removing growth from the centre and any epicoral growth on the inside. Removing any growth reaching to the heavens. the idea is that when finished you should be able to throw your hat through it, and reach any fruit with ease without a ladder. The removal of the middle growth allows the cirulation of light and air and the growth goes into the right areas of the tree and improves the size and quality of the fruit.

Now Dewy and myself will get our wrists slapped from breezer! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back