Pub sound level monitoring units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pub where I danced a couple of times last night had the band playing too loudly.

They have a unit on the wall near the bar with a sound level display of say 7 green light segments followed by 3 red lights.

Does anyone know anything about these units?

Sponsored Links
they used to be called "oranges" presumably after either the manufacturer

for bands, they were a real pain, as cutting the mains does the amps no good.
I have seen a drummer manage to kill the power when nobody else was playing

a real sledgehammer to crack a nut

If the music is too loud, you're in the wrong type of pub. :idea:

Or are you just upset that you missed the bell for last orders? :eek::eek::eek::eek::(:(:(:(

107421_large.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wish they had them here. Live in a street with 3 pubs - yeah, I know we chose to live here but it was still a shock over how loud it really is. I wish the pubs did a little bit to help, stop the bands being quite so loud that I can feel it vibrate on our floor.
Or at least close the windows and stop playing before midnight :(
Moan over!! :)

Wish they had them here. Live in a street with 3 pubs - yeah, I know we chose to live here but it was still a shock over how loud it really is. I wish the pubs did a little bit to help, stop the bands being quite so loud that I can feel it vibrate on our floor.
Or at least close the windows and stop playing before midnight :(
Moan over!! :)

Oh come on BM, you don't strike me as the feet up horlicks type! Get out there, dancing shoes on and show the hubby a good time! You never know you might meet some people of another culture that you may like! :p (there wasn't a tongue in cheek emoji)

Jon

Oh come on BM, you don't strike me as the feet up horlicks type! Get out there, dancing shoes on and show the hubby a good time! You never know you might meet some people of another culture that you may like! :p (there wasn't a tongue in cheek emoji)

Jon
Lol, we would if the music was good! My partner and I are both old punks with a vastly different taste of music to the main stream rubbish the cover bands here sing out of tune.

And sadly, the only people that go to these pubs are orange sprayed Essex types who love nothing more than to have a punch up once they've drunk too much and shout lots. They also like to puke and urinate against our houses while leaving their kebab wrappers & empty, broken glasses on the pavement for the children to play with next day.

They are a bit foreign to us granted but not types who we wish to mix with. Does that make me racist? Sorry :)

Edit. What I don't get is that when we go to see bands, it ends at 11pm, that's the rules for music venues. But 3 pubs in a residential area (it's an unusual set up here with the pubs being from the 1600's in a conservation area) and they are allowed a late license and music up to 12.30. And they're not told to close their bloody windows!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This unit is stand alone and presumably the idea is the band watch it and keep mostly in the green.

The pub has its doors open at this time of year and band can be clearly heard 100m down the street. That does not bother me. Its the high level inside and bad mix.

The clientel are slightly unusual on Suns being mostly 55 to 65 rock music fans with virtually no one under 40.

But do the LA who licence music have any interest in the sound level unit?

Wouldn't it come within the remit of the Environmental Dept for noise nuisance?

I think only if local residents complained .

The licencing section are balancing the pub needs against disturbance to people nearby.

Although my concern is that sound level is too high for proper enjoyment of the music which I like.

Sorry, yes I should have reminded myself of your first post.
Ear muffs?

Wouldn't it come within the remit of the Environmental Dept for noise nuisance?
Should do.. but councils don't seem interested.

From our experience (my neighbours and myself) when we complained have been fobbed off for the last 2 years. The council funds have been cut for this considerably and they are just not interest.
In order for the pubs to be fined or their terms of license changed the council reps have to build up a case over a fair amount of time. Some of that is for the council reps to actually be out in a residents house listening to the noise. Then it's subject to that person's personal acceptability of noise (we had one that said it wasn't that bad and one that said it was appalling). Also our council reps from environmental health are available once a month out of hours on set days. If the pub isn't playing music or having a band on that set time there is nothing for them to report.

The alternative is for the police or the residents to take the pubs to court to change their license agreements. Police are strapped and no longer deal with this kind of thing (Essex police now say it's purely a council issue) so that leaves residents. Residents here have been threatened by landlords verbally. Basically it's a frustrating issue where nobody is interested and I wouldn't be shocked if this wasn't how it's now dealt with up and down the country.

Write to the licencing officer, probably based at your council offices. As well as complaining, ask if you can see a copy of the Premises Licence; and how you may make a Representation (use that word) to the Licencing Authority.

There terms of the licence will (may) specify how they must control noise and other nuisance.

Licenced premises are not the same as some other business. "Prevention of public nuisance" is a Licencing Objective.

"regulated entertainment" including live and recorded music and dancing, is controlled by the terms of the Premises Licence (apart from Morris Dancing, which is exempt), so is the supply of alcohol.

The council's website may have a page about Premises Licences, which it may describe as "licences for Alcohol and Entertainment" or something similar.

Last edited:
If that's for me JohnD, thanks. We've had a meeting with the licensing officer, and the police who are also in charge of licensing. Makes no difference, they can only go on what environmental health obtains. I also have a copy of all three licenses of the pubs, the times and allowances for music etc.
It was the licensing officer and environmental health that told is that we should take them to court... while refusing/hands tied through lack of funding to do any proper, continual investigation on their part.

There's nothing in the terms how they control music volume, just the time they are supposed to play (which often they go over the allowed time). There is no requirement for them to shut the windows even, and the landlords are tossers and don't see why they should. They've actually said that, as well as refusing to collect glasses in the morning etc. There's no meeting in the middle with these guys sadly.

I don't like complaining and don't much like those spoil joys who do.

Most complain just because they can hear the music. They don't listen to the radio or TV at home.

My view is that a complaint is not valid if it does not prevent normal activities at normal times.

Sponsored Links
Back