Pulled up carpets, what a mess! help to stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there

I've just pulled up the carpet in the hall in the hope of having bear floorboards. Trouble is the carpet seems to have been hiding a mulitude of sins. Someone has stained and varnished the floor but not under the stairs, there are splats of paint and plaster and worst of all some of the boards themselves have 20mm x 30mm gaps in them.

My question is do I sand all of this off and start again to get an even finish or is there an easier way. The boards do have the potential of looking good as long as I can match them under the stairs and get all the paint off. Also is there a product that can fill the gaps, I've heard of papier mache but I think the gaps are much too big.

Any advice will be much apprechiated.

Sponsored Links
You could sand the pre-stained, and paint stained areas, with a hired belt sander.
An Orbit sander will do tricky spots.
A pain, but doable in a hall.

Sink any face nails, snug-up any screws. Make certain that there's no bounce in any part of the floor.

Post pics of the "gaps", there are various ways of filling them.

The trap access for the underfloor is often located under the stairs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back