Pulling down hedge replacing with fence ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi looking for advice if poss for few questions below any answers much appreciated.

do i need any permission from the local council to pull down a hedge between mine and neighbours house and replace with same size fence ? (My house bought and neighbours is council house)

Also would i be right in thinking they may pay half of the cost ?

and finally how do i go about finding out which side of hedge fence will be built ?

lookin for any advice b4 investigating with council

cheers

Sponsored Links
Depends on who owns the hedge, who's side is it on? The neighbour doesn't have to pay a penny if he doesn't want to, even if that side of the garden is his responsibility. Have you even spoke to them about it?

If it's your side then you should put the fence dead central to the boundary, but with the posts sitting on your side.

More useful info here: http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

there may be a covenant preventing fixed structures
have a look and see what other people have done
also you will be restricted to 1m- 1220mm for a front fence 2m for a back fence

yes have spoke to neighbour just not about costs ! wondering if the council will pay any of it if neighbour doesnt which i dont think they will (doubt it)...

Do not know who owns hedge just presuming half council half me, not sure how to find this info out, gonna phone council and investigate 2morrow

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back