Pulsacoil 3 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Pulsacoil 3. The pump was pulsing for prolonged periods even when not running the hot tap so I changed both the DHW wet sensor and the PHE dry sensor.

Now when I run a hot tap the pump starts for approx. 5 seconds then switches off. If I close then reopen the tap the same happens.

If I let the thermal store lose some heat then try again the pump runs for longer before switching off. Then when there is not much heat in the store the pump will run and not switch off until I turn off the tap (the expected normal behaviour).

I suspect the pump is being switched off due to too much heat in the store going through the heat exchange to the DHW sensor.

The pump seems OK because if I remove the dry PHE sensor as a test then run the hot tap, the pump starts and runs until I turn off the tap. then the pump continues in a reduced mode (I suspect an error failure mode due to the dry sensor not registering).

I checked the off peak immersion heater thermo rod (I only use off peak Immersion heater) and it was sealed set at 85c.

Could this be the problem as I suspect it should be no more than 77c.

Sponsored Links
I think those are designed to be run at 84 C otherwise there is not enough heat stored in the cylinder.

The only useful heat in those is the temperature above 55 C for hot water delivery.

Not a very clever system although it does the job when it is new and working properly.

Tony

Thanks Tony but this extract from the manual states different from what you say. Therefore could that be the problem

"

The immersion heaters used are 14” 3kW low watts

density units with incaloy 825 immersion sheaths, and

matching 11” rod thermostats which should be set to

77C. They are BEAB approved and have been chosen

to meet the requirements of the Maxistore specification

produced specially for Ecomony 7 products by the

Electricity Industry.

"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back