Puma 80 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pilot light won't stay alight when I release the gas push button, so I presume what I would call the thermocouple has failed. But looking through the spares listings I can't find "thermocouple"
What do I need ?

Sponsored Links
There are 'Universal' Thermocouples available. Even B&Q supply them for about £10.

In basic form its operation is as follows:
The Thermocouple sits in the Pilot Flame and the heat energises the electro-magnetic unit thus opening the Gas Valve. This ensures there is a flame for the gas if it is flowing. If the pilot extinguishes for any reason then the Thermocouple will cool and the Gas Valve will shut down. Thus ensuring gas is NOT flowing when there is no means of it lighting. So if your Thermocouple has failed then the Gas Valve cannot stay open. The Gas valve is designed to fail to safe i.e. Shut down if there is no pilot.

Fitting one is a fairly simple process. Just route the new one along the same line as the old one.

Hope that helps.

The pilot light won't stay alight when I release the gas push button, so I presume what I would call the thermocouple has failed. But looking through the spares listings I can't find "thermocouple"
What do I need ?

There are two types of Puma!

One is electronic and has no pilot light.

The other has a pilot light and often the type number is Puma 80P or similar.

There are other aspects that may have failed on your boiler apart from the thermocouple, particularly the over heat stat.

These are really things for a CORGI though.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back