Puma 80E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and please forgive me if this question has been asked before but I could not find the complete answer to my question.
I have a 8yr old puma80e for the last 2 weeks in the morning the system pressure was down and the system was locked out, a simple refill through top up loop solves the problem but only for 24hrs. I have tonight removed covers from boiler and noticed two things:- 1st a constant drip from the prv not through the outlet pipe but from what appears to be a swivel joint to the left of the red cap on the prv, is this joint servicable? or do I need a new prv needed? 2nd also noticed very occassional drip from pressure vessel.
I do not have a manual for the boiler (is there one available online) I am quiet handy and have installed several systems in the past so would carry out any repairs myself (with a lot of help from you guys I hope).
Hope someone can help with my small problem.

Sponsored Links
Prv's are cheap, best to replace it.
Dripping PV unfortunate. It will either need replacing, which I believe means taking the boiler off the wall, or you can add another one anywhere convenient in the system.

Thanks Chrisr
Do you have any further tips on replacing valve and also it sounds easier to fit auxillary pv how would i do that?

Sponsored Links
Kev, Thanks for reply do rely know how best to explain myself but here goes:- just to the left of the pressure guage is what appears to be a swivel joint this is where the drip appears from. I am not sure if this is a swivel or just a threded joint. Hope you understand what i mean.

That isn't the Pressure Vessel!

Just sounds like a leaking joint - have you tried doing it up with a spanner?

Swapping the valve if it IS letting water ,is again a simple spanner job.

Does it only drip when it gets hot. Is the pressure shooting up when it gets hot?

try and post a picture that will get solutions flooding in.

We still can't resist the novelty of a picture on ere.
(strange when u fink tv is about 60 years old !)

Thanks for prompt reply guys, Sorry i forgot to mention no further signs of drips from PV only constant drip from PRV at work at the moment, will post pic as soon as i get home approx 4.30 watch this space.

Been home at lunchtime armed with camera.
I will attach photo showing in the centre off picture the drip forming beneath valve, it is coming from the first joint to the left of red safety cap.

Photo

thats the pipe that goes outside prob a bad joint if the valve is passing as chris said replace it
nothing to do with expansion vessel :)

Thanks guys do I have to drain system before replacing? Also where is good place to buy replacement?
Cheers for all the help btw

I think these puma 80's have a red and blue isolation valves as the flow and return pipes as they leave the boiler so in theory the CH circuit can be isolated from the boiler meaning the boiler only has to be drained down.

The boiler manual should have a parts list at the back. Get the part number yellow pages and the phone and get prices from a couple of plumbing merchants. In Birmingham I use plumbase (time & temperature)

Thanks again for great quick replys, I dont have a parts manual so will have to explain over phone what i require.
Now where's that stilson wrench :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back