Puma Boiler - CH not coming on nor is there any Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just joined this forum.

Basically yesterday morning the heating was working well, however in the evening when trying to turn the heating on it was not doing anything nor was there any Hot water.

I am not sure which Puma boiler i have but done some googling on symptoms and issues for Puma boilers, so here are my findings:
It seems as though the low pressure light is on and once checked the pressure gauge, the black needle was at 0 and the red on 1 :(
I have looked under the boiler and there seems to be NO mains button to turn the damn thing off... also there are 5 pipes under the boiler....
Also the Pilot light is constantly on.

Over the last few days i have noticed that a few of my radiators had were not getting warm due to possible air in them, however trying to use a bloody radiator key and release the air was difficult as the radiators were stiff as if they haven't been bled for years. PS - we only moved in a few months ago.

So any help would be fantastic on how to get the pressure back up and get everything working. I am no Plumber but am willing to give it a shot. :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi the red needle on the gauge is not really a needle just an indicator, the black needle being on 0 means you have no pressure in your system that's why the low pressure led is on, sounds like you have a permanent pilot boiler that's why the pilot light is on.
You need to find a silver braided pipe somewhere on your system (usually under boiler) which is the filling loop to refill your system (look in the FAG section) for information about this.
If you need to vent your radiators after you get the boiler working recheck the pressure as you go,plus when you have the pressure back you will need to press the reset button if the boiler has tripped.

There is a silver pipe underneath.

lol FAG..

Okay so what should the black needle be on?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Refill to around 1bar -1.5bar that should put out your low pressure led and your boiler should restart then you need to keep your eyes on it for a while to see what happens with your rad's etc.

Thanks Cowley,

I am trying to find info about filling the loop but cannot locate it, any chance you can send me a link?

Thanks

Actually I don't think there is one only parts of it in the FAQ about pressure vessels sorry about that but I have never looked before just assumed someone had put 1 in.
Basically on either 1 side or maybe both sides there will be a ball affix valve like a washing machine valve with a plastic knob on it you need to turn either 1 or if there's 2 both of them on and you will hear water going into the boiler and the gauge rising.

Morning guys....

thanks for all your help... i tried dropping the pressure and it went well. The low pressure light went off and the heating/hot water was back on... The heating was on all evening.
HOWEVER...This morning, it seems as though the pressure has gone back down to 0, the pressure light is back on and the boiler is not lighting :(

Could someone help me in terms of what this means, i am assuming there may be some kind of leak. Would anyone know what part i would need and whether its a big job or not?

Thanks

Check outside where the pressure relief valve pipe is terminated to see if that is dripping once the system is repressurised and running. Also keep a watch on the pressure gauge to see if the pressure does not increase to 3 bar. Do all that and come back. Check all internal visible pipes and rads etc for signs of leaks as well. At this stage it's unclear as to what is wrong. It needs a bit of further investigation.
I don't think you meant dropping the pressure?

Thanks Pete, will do.

Silly question but is the pressure relief valve pipe the one connected to the Filling Loop?

Also i have checked all radiators, all bar 1 seems fine. The radiator closest to the boiler seems to have lots of air locked as it doesnt get hot, just gets a little warm at the bottom. I have attempted many times to bleed it however the screw seems too stiff. Are there any tips or other ways to bleed it and could air lock in a rad be a cause?

The prv pipe comes from the bottom of the boiler and goes to outside. Air in a rad will not cause your symptoms. Get a good fitting bleed key and use a bit of gentle force to turn anti clockwise.

Hi Guys,

So over the weekend I did re-pressure the Boiler and it started back up. The low pressure light went off and it fired perfectly. A couple of hours in with the heating on i did notice the pressure creeping up, however the next morning it dropped down to over 1 bar.
I also took a look outside to see the PRV and it seems to be dripping very slowly.

Over the weekend the heating and water have started working again and the boiler firing up as and when needed, the low pressure light has stayed off and everything seems to be back to "normal".
what should I do next? especially with the slight drip on the PRV, and to make sure the pressure does not drop below 1 bar?

any help would be great.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back