Pump Adaptor / extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to replace my old SMC pump which currently runs the HW side of the CH from the boiler. There is another pump feeding the radiators (Grundos 15/50).

The SMC pump has 160mm (approx) centres and I understand I can get an extension piece to fit a modern 130mm pump. Where does the extension/adaptor go ? between the pump and the gate valve or on the 22mm pipe fitting side ?
Need to gain 30mm approx although there probably will be a bit of movement in the pipe but not enough room to re-do the pipework.

Sponsored Links
you might as well do it properly, cut the pipe, and make it 30 mm longer.
will actually be less work than trying to find an extension.
and whilst you are at it, take the opportunity to stick new pump valves on.

I replaced the old SMC pump today - It's been there since 1975, we moved in 1987 - it was still running daily. Couldn't undo the valves of course - just undid the connections.

Had one problem on the new pump - couldn't get the extender thing to seal to the valve union - just kept leaking. In the end took it out and extended the pipework with 22-22 connector.
I agree - don't bother with extenders.

Here is the old beast , the capicitor has been tied on for about 15 years !!

Sponsored Links
Six months to get round to replacing the pump ?

Even then you did not follow the professional advice !

But at least you learnt by your mistake !

We give advice based on our practical experience of doing these jobs for a living. I often wonder who some of the visitors think we are !

Tony

Bit late, but I assume the new pump is the right way round?

Extensions dont leak with fibre washers. I'd have sawn off the unions and never a need to drain down. Very rarely do I not get gate valves to shut off. (Had a few fail to open though to be honest!)

Paul

DIA,

On pump valves I will use nothing else. I also smear copius amounts of silicon grease around the threads, and the pump valve unions will undo extremely easily.

On extensions.... fibre, and all extensions UNDER the pump so if they leak, they wont wont leak onto the pump.

Paul

A liberal serving of boss white they don't leak. :cool:

Better say on the fibre washers, don't need nothing on the rubber ones.

People who smear bosswhite all over pump fittings should be made to go and get them undone again after 15 -20 yrs, they wouldn't use it again

People who smear bosswhite all over pump fittings should be made to go and get them undone again after 15 -20 yrs, they wouldn't use it again

Plumbers should take a 10week CC course on how to undo pump unions :LOL:

Never ever had a problem. :eek:

Remember the more pressure you use the tighter it grips the pump, counter productive in other words.

Loose grips or a special spanner, and failing all else a small hammer and tap them off. :idea:

But the trouble is that they have retired by then !!!

Leaving us to have to drain and cut the pipes.

I use silicone grease on the fibre washers and threads so that no one who comes later will ever have any problem and in the meantime they will not leak!

Of course 15-20 years ago all they had was Boss White and silicone grease was waiting to be available!

Tony

Doesnt bare thinking about Agile smearing his nuts with silicone grease :eek: each to there own.....

Doesnt bare thinking about Agile smearing his nuts with silicone grease :eek: each to there own.....

Or do you mean "Doesn't bear....

That reminds me of a BBC letter which went out saying "Please bare with us while we...."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back