Pump dirty shower water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

In my latest project I want to pump all my shower water to outside tanks. Small problem is that bathroom is in the middle of the house and the drains are not easily accessible other than about half a foot and an elbow of the shower drain.

My idea is to cut that and extend it (it's in a cupboard so space is ok) into a large loop to form a small "tank". I should be able get around 2.5L of volume by looping the pipe back on itself. This loop would be at a slightly lower level than the outlet so water would pool in it but overflow into the normal pipe. I then have a pump to pump it up to a small storage tank (25L, about 0.75-1m head) in the cupboard and from there, a larger pump to send it through the ceiling (about 2m head), out the house and into the water butt. Slightly long winded but I can’t see another way.

Both pumps will be controlled on-demand by low-voltage sensors which I’ll make.

My question is around pumps and safety. Simplest would be to use fishpond pumps as quantities and flow are not massive. The lower buffer(if there is another option I’m all ears) would be quite frequent and small quantities, the larger tank would be every now and then. Obviously, fishpond pumps are not designed to be used with humans (pretty sure they’ll be ok but I would rather have the proper thing) so, is there a small dirty water pump which is suitably rated?

I was thinking of using a central heating pump but don’t think it’ll last with shower water?
Best option would be a pump with a one-way valve on it (tolerant of hair and other crud which comes out a shower) which would allow the water to be pushed up in small quantities and not drain back.

Suggestions and comments on a postcard to…

Thanks!

Cheers,
Crispin

Sponsored Links
thanks! The Whale pump is perfect. I think I'll go for the larger option (320). Has a max head of 3m or a head / lift of 4m so more than enough for me. It has a check valve so I don't need the second tank.

Advice from a friend was to built the "pipe tank" from 110mm pipe which I think will work in the space and height I have. It'll allow a lot more volume, around 15L, which is fine. Volume of the pipe above the pump is only about 1L so even if it did drain back it would be ok.

Thanks for the tip! (Also a lot happier with the 12V aspect...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back