pump distance from tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a 3 bar /22mm pump hot and cold (gravity fed) +ive pressure that is suitable for installation 5-6M away from the tank?

The one my plumber has installed is not suitable for more than 4M. I'm assuming this is going to cause some problems? The pump in question is a salamander ESP 100, I don't know much about them other than there is a lot of plastic where I'd expect brass.

Sponsored Links
Is that 5-6m vertically or 5-6m of pipework? I always use Stuart Turner Monsoon pumps

The pump he is fitting is good for more than 4M vertical or horizontal, why the concern?

It may not be the best pump, +1 with Muggles, ST would be my choice too. As JP mentions though, a brass impelled pump will cost at least 50% more.

Sponsored Links
honestly go with the stuart turner monsoon pump normally find the cheaper ones are noisy as well , costs a bit more but you won't regret it

according to the manufacturer guide the run from the tank to the pump cannot exceed 4m of 22mm. they don't say why.

thanks for the suggestions. The plumber is a good guy he's subbing to my builder who talks a great story and probably pinned the plumber down on cost.

from my perspective another £100 for a decent pump is nothing on the grand scheme if it means quieter running and longer life

Apologies, should have read your post properly :), it's a usual spec for the pump to be less than 4m from the hot cylinder, I take it the pump is not being sited at the base of the cylinder? Any reason why not? It may need a re-think to be trouble free.

Most if not all pump manufacturers - ST included - have a requirement for these types of pump to be less than 4m away from the cylinder. It ensures that there is adequate HW flow to supply the pump, any longer and the pipework may struggle to feed the pump properly.

More importantly, it also means that their warranty will only cover installations with less than 4m of supply pipework if there are any issues.

the warranty can also be void if the whole installation isn't to manu instructions also .

we had requested the pump to go in to the airing cupboard, but the plumber said its not possible. I suspect the issue is the amount of pipe rework required.

I'm getting so fed up with this project. I could have done the lot in a weekend myself. but the Mrs convinced me to get the builder to do it.

the pump is approx 5.5m from the tank. previous pump (a fairly decent wickes one) was in the same place to be fair and managed 15 years of good service.

Is there a bathroom backing on to the airing cupboard? Is there a bath that the pump could go under? Or you may need to look at sighting the pump in the loft above the airing cupboard!

If you're prepared to spend the money then have a look at getting an AquaLisa Quartz Digitial which can go pretty much where you want!

Ah...when you say tank, do you mean tank (as in the one in the loft) or hot water cylinder (the thing in your airing cupboard)?

What are you expecting it to serve - one shower or multiple showers?

The problem is that the pump must have adequate inlet delivery of water which is provided by gravity. There are many variables and the most important is the pressure or head of the supply to the cylinder.

Pump makers assume the worst case of the loft tank being on the floor of the loft and just above the cylinder. If its a couple of floors above there is little problem.

Then there is the supply pipe sizes. An obscure British Standard says the inlet to a cylinder should be in 28 mm but none are ( unless I fitted them ).

Last is the outlet pipework sizes. Makers assume 22 mm but if it were 28 mm then there would be less problem.

Last, last is the flow rate. If this was low say 6 li/min to a shower then there would be no problem but the makers assume the worst case of an open pipe outlet such as a bath tap.

So the pump makers protect themselves against excessive warranty claims by just requiring a maximum of 4m from the cylinder.

Tony

Sorry - I'm not being very clear.
The hot water tank is in the back bedroom, this is next to the family bathroom. The run is ~5.5M from the tank to the location of pump which is going under the bath. The pump will serve, bath, 2 showers and hot water taps. + hot water for downstair loo and kitchen The original set-up was a dedicated shower pump (cheap variable speed b&Q 2 bar one) and a dedicated pump for the bath (wickes brass 3 bar) and ensuite bathroom. Since we are having the bathrooms redone. The "plan" was a single high quality pump next to the tank.

diagram : https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7434/27777430691_ea9e88e00c_z.jpg

So I'm assuming there aren't any pumps designed to be so far away from the tank?

If your 3.6 m is the total pipe length and the pump asks for less than 4 m then you are all right!

But your first post said 5-6 m !

It would be helpful if you called the hot water container a cylinder instead of a tank!

Strictly the loft tank should be called a cistern but we can accept tank for that.

Tony

The diagram is cross section, so the run is 3.6M +2.1M less the space taken up by the large copper tank full of hot water ("Cylinder") ;) so ~5.5M at least

I'll check the input pipe diameter to the Cylinder, I have a funny feeling its bigger than 22mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back