Pump humming and leaking help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post I am a complete novice computers are more my thing so bare with me. I have just moved into a new house and when I turn the boiler on to heat the water I get a loud humming sound from the airing cupboard.

It's getting worse and woke me up the last few nights, I have it set to heat the water for 45 min starting 6am. I have noticed the isolation valve above the pump is leaking from the screw see pictures attached. It looks like it has been like this for a long time looking at the rust around the pump!

Would you recommend replacing both isolation valves + the pump as it is making a loud noise?

The system is a conventional setup with a hot water tank + cold water tank in the loft.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ah the famous leaking pump ball valves.....
Yep, I'd recommend replacing both of those and the pump at the same time with a Grundfoss one - much better quality!
Those isolators often leak the moment they are turned.
John :)

Thanks any recommendations what valves to use? Are there better quality ones I can use?

Try to avoid the pump valves with the little penny turn screws on them - the ones with the proper valves are the best.

Sponsored Links
They all give problems after a while, but Pegler ones are as good as you can get (Screwfix 20850).
Gate valves are also an alternative (81629). However, these can seize up and don't always stop the water flow entirely. As pump valves are rarely turned off anyway, its not a real issue.
Your system will need to be drained, or at least the loft tank outlet and expansion pipe plugged when the job is done. Use a quality inhibitor afterwards, such as Fernox.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back