pump motor capacitor - where can i get one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a jaguar boiler that wouldnt fire up. From reading other threads I suspected the pump. I've taken the pump out and connected it directly to a mains lead. The impeller only starts turning if you give it an initial push and is easily stopped. I think its the capacitor (reading "finger test" post in FAQ). My question is where can I get a replacement capacitor?

Sponsored Links
The problem is being approached from the wrong direction.

You need to measure the capacitance value of the cap in the pump!

They are usually about 2.6 µF when new.

The best place to get one is from an old pump!

If you really cannot find one then RS components have suitable caps but they are unlikely to fit the pump housing.

You could buy a new pump about £40 are use the cap out of that. Or find a plumbers van and ask if they have an old scrap pump you can have.

Tony

Sponsored Links
i can send you one,if you update you're profile to include phone no or email i will contact you

I am sure that B&Q or Screwfix probably have pumps at about that price or less.

But whilst changing the cap will probably get it going again the correct procedure is to measure the cap as it could just possibly be the starting winding.

Thinking of you I picked up a pump today!

Tony

Did you access the capacitor? It should have the value printed on the casing.
I replaced a motor cap recently it was unusual and cost £15 but worth it.

RS as above or CPC / farnell - free postage no minimum :D

Many thanks for all the replies. I've ordered a capacitor off ebay for less than a fiver so worth a chance. If this doesn't work I think I'll go for one of the Wilo ones from Screwfix (I think the Jaguar one is a Wilo). However I can only see this fitting if I remove the four allen bolts and just use the motor / impeller. Is this the case?

I've found a picture of one on ebay, its from an Ideal Mini but I've read somewhere that they are the same.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200356155732

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Agile, you mentioned measuring the cap. Is there a particular method for measuring capacitance or is it basically the same as a resistor but using farads setting on multimeter?

Yes but not a Farads range ( if you had one ) a 1-10 or 1-20 MICRO-Farad range.

But always join the cap leads together for a second to dissipate any charge to avoid damaging the meter.

Tony

Cheers Tony. Was using SI unit of measure, but knew reading would be in mF. Would have had a lot of 0's on screen otherwise.
Everyday's a schoolday. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back