Pump Stuck ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just drained the central heating system, and now the pump makes a whirring noise, and the central heating doesn't come on. Does it just need bleeding ?

Sponsored Links
sounds like it's full of air, there's normally a bleed screw in the middle (flat blade screwdriver)

Thanks Dangerous,
Yes, I tried releasing the screw slowly, and water gently dribbled out, but it hasn't cured the problem.

I checked the pipework feed into the F&E tank and it had a fair bit of gunge in it, so I cleaned the section of pipe out and replaced it. How do I get the air from the pump/system.

if you bleed the highest radiator in the house, does water squirt out forcefully?

Sponsored Links
John,
Yes, water forcefully exits every radiator the second I start to try to bleed it, so no air can be in the radiators.

I assume there is a build up of air in the system accumulated from when I re-filled the F&E tank ??? But how can I remove it ? Also, there was a lot of black slime in the F&E tank before I baled it out, so maybe some of that gunk has gone into the central heating side of the Powermax boiler ??? I don't know how to solve it, any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Unfortunately you have a powermax-unlucky. These are notorious and have been fatal at the hands of British Gas! (more like ****ish gas). Call BAXI and take out an insurance package would be my advice. . . .

Yes, I know Dangermouse. I have diagnosed the problem as a blocked cold feed pipe from the F&E tank into the boiler itself. As the F&E tank doesn't refill when you attempt to drain off from one of the downstairs radiators.

The sludge collection from the tank must of been drawn into the system, when draining intially, and therefore blocked the 15mm feed pipe.

Any ideas on the best way to extract the gunge, is there any way to do it without causing a massive mess !!

Cheers,

A magnetic filter on the return to the boiler is the bast way to collect magnetic debris.

Tony

if I understand you correctly, water is not circulating round the system any more. This makes cleaning it out far more difficult, since chemicals will not be pumped round, and the dirty water will not pass through a Magnaclean or similar so that it can attract the black sediment :(

You need to clear the blockage enough to get the flow going. This may help //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=771846#771846

If you have a black sediment block, you can probably find where it is by holding a magnet against the copper pipe. it will be attracted to the place where the blockage is.

Most often it is at the Tee where the F&E pipe joins the circulating pipes. You will probably have to cut out this joint to remove the blockage. You cab remake it with compression fittings as it is very difficult to solder wet pipe. If it already a compression joint you can just undo it instead of cutting.

Poke down the pipe with a bit of stiff wire to loosen any hard lumps. Drain then out as best you can since they may damage or jam the pump. When you have got the system circulating agin, put in a litre of X400 which helps break down sediment and sludge. Circulate it for a few weeks then drain out.

For about £100 you can buy a Magnaclean which is an excellent device which traps remaining black sediment (there is sure to be some) and prevents it forming another blockage. It requires basic DIY plumbing to fit it, and you will need to fit it while the system is drained down

If you ever closed the pump valves then one may have broken and not opened.

Some airlocks can be difficult to fix. Putting the pump on the highest setting will help as will bleeding the pump but thats usually best with one of the pump valves closed and the pump running or with the pump off and both valves open. It all depends on the main location of any airlock.

If you still dont get anyway try removing the pump head with the valves closed and open each in turn into a bucket to see if there is a good flow of water from each one.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back