Pump to always running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.
I seem to have an intermittent problem with the pump on my heating. when the HW or CH is turned on the boiler will come on but the pump wont always start. So after a few seconds I get banging in the pipes as the water is boiled. Any ideas as to what the cause could be. I thought the pump but when is is running it sounds ok so am not sure. Any advice.

Lee

Sponsored Links
check if you have voltage at the pump 240 or 24 volts dependant on system if you do then check on water content of system and you can check the pump with a large flat screwdriver put the blade on the pump and your ear on the handle you will be able to hear the pump running (a slight gratting) or stuck (a humming)

Even if the pump is humming it doesn't mean that it's pumping. You could have a failed pump, worn impeller, broken spindle/impeller, or a blockage or air lock in the pipework.

Sponsored Links
The boiler is ideal, not sure on model will have to find that. The pump makes no sound when this happens. As mentioned this is only intermittent so makes me think the pump may be ok and its a fault else where. The over run was mentioned by someone at work. When it work correctley the ch or hw timer clicks on and the pump starts, a few seconds later the boiler kicks in. The time between the timer coming on and the boiler is the same even when the pump does not.

Thanks

Lee

Softus said:
Even if the pump is humming it doesn't mean that it's pumping. You could have a failed pump, worn impeller, broken spindle/impeller, or a blockage or air lock in the pipework.

Hang on... we have a heating engineer wannabe in the building. His pump won`t always start mate ;) .. go on.. have a guess. Can everyone else here stand back & let Softus solve this one for once? :D :D :D

ChrisR said:
Sounds like a Profile with a bust overrun stat.

Trying to learn here, overrun stat? not encountered that, anything to do with the pump ovverun facility, which normally kicks in to dissipate the heat after the boiler has reached temp & switches off? If so his boiler hasn`t had the chance to reach any sort of temperature. Enlighten me.

corgiman said:
Isnt the punter saying that his pump AINT running??

It`s intermittent, don`t say any more we`re all waiting for Softus. ;) ;)

why bamber I think Softus maybe on to summink

I cannot think how the Overun stat would have owt to do wif it thou

corgiman said:
why bamber I think Softus maybe on to summink

I cannot think how the Overun stat would have owt to do wif it thou

Still waitin` for Softus,.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back