pump to boiler or to tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My very old Valiant combi boiler needs to be replaced. Nat Grid capped off the supply after I smelt gas and the plumber who came later couldn't get the rusted pump off. It appears to be truly welded to the pipe work inside the boiler.

Anyway, it's a very old gas guzzling open flame pilot light boiler which I'm now going to replace with a new 24/80 condensing boiler installed (possibly a Worcester Bosch or Main).

The problem however is that I live on the 6th floor of an old Victorian building in which all the flats appear to share the same water supply from the mains outside. Therefore, the 1 bar pressure supplied courtesy of Thames Water becomes diluted as the water goes further up the building. The plumber measured only 0.5 bar pressure.

This is not a problem for the central heating, but it is a big problem for the shower, bath and sinks where the hot water trickles out.

The solution appears to be a pump. The question is, will I be able to attach a pump to the fresh water inlet before the water enters the boiler or must I attach the pump to a tank which I don't have and don't want because they take up too much space in my flat which is only 30 square meters (I'm in central London where space is a premium especially in declining market)? Also, I regard tanks as breading grounds for germs and limescale.

I would be grateful for any advice for the above and also any recommendations for type and make of boiler and pump and where I can buy them cheaply (I live in the paddington, w2 area)

Sponsored Links
The solution appears to be a pump. The question is, will I be able to attach a pump to the fresh water inlet before the water enters the boiler
Probably not.

You would need permission from the water undertaker, and you probably won't get it.
There would be a real risk of creating an environmental health nightmare.

...or must I attach the pump to a tank which I don't have and don't want
Yes.

Also, I regard tanks as breading grounds for germs and limescale.
And so does everyone else, which is why you should fit a lid with a vent, an overflow warning pipe with dip tube and filter, and fully lag the cistern to keep it cool enough to stop germs breeding.

I would be grateful for any advice for the above and also any recommendations for type and make of boiler and pump and where I can buy them cheaply (I live in the paddington, w2 area)
www.misersRus.co.uk?

You could fit a TCWS Charger accumulator system, this was designed for problems such as yours.

It's not cheap and you can't buy it from the internet, even from the excellent site Softus has recommended to you.

I don't cover the Paddington area.

Does that exclude Harrow Road, or just Darkest Peru? :eek:

Sponsored Links
I have been avoiding the area ever since some bl@@dy bear climbed in my suitcase.

In that case you'd best avoid Maida Vale too, as Agile has a reputation for crapping in competitors' toolboxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back