pumped hot water!

as long as your PRV will adjust low enough to match your hot pressure then yes it will

if you use the pressure equalising valve it will adjust itself to match pressure , this will give you exact equal pressure all the time...you probably wont get this from just PRV on cold

PRV will work , just not the best fix is all

also if at anytime someone puts a pump on that hot supply (or fits unvented) you will still have equal pressure

whats the flow/pressure like on this tap on the hot side ?

Chris

Sponsored Links
If your going to the trouble of putting in a new pump and a surey flange why not do the job properly and put in a twin negative head pump and you wont have problems with trying to equal the pressures, its a bit more work dropping a feed from the tank in the loft but at least you can guarantee it will work properly.

if you are considering pumping the whole house , you do need a minimum of 50gal cold water storage , they dont always put a bigger tank in when they fit a small shower pump so if its not there now it will be needed for whole house pump

personally , if it was at the stage of a new twin pump id be offering unvented as an option , its a bit more money but long term its less maintainance and you dont have all that annoying noise when pump is running

you can just fit the PEV under the bath now , no pump....it will just work

only reason i wouldnt fit is if hot to bath was very poor

not much point in reducing cold to a trickle if thats all the hot is currently

All good ideas chaps but the refurb is not in the plan at the moment, unvented , twin impellor fully pumped system has all been thought of but the solution has to be like for like at the moment.

Everyone is watching the pennys, the bath has a flow of about 6/5 litres a min. not ideal but even worse with the current scenario, PEV does sound like the way to go but because of the hot flow rate as it is I started to think PRV on cold .

Rather than a essex boss a surrey flange would be more to my liking cos it's less ****upable :D .

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sponsored Links
if you use the pressure equalising valve it will adjust itself to match pressure , this will give you exact equal pressure all the time...you probably wont get this from just PRV on cold

A PRV might work, but the pressure of the hot water delivered by the pump changes with the water flow rate; high flow at low pressure; low flow at high pressure. Have a look at any pump curve to get the general idea.

The amount of hot water flowing will change as the temperature hot water from the cylinder changes in the course of a shower.

pump curves can confuse some ppl for some strange reason....

might be easier to imagine a tap running from a pump....slow it down and pressure will build up in the pipework...so pressure is dependant on flow to a certain extent

Chris

You leave my curves out of this... they are all bought and paid for.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am off to bed to feel some of my better half's curves :mrgreen:

Now look what you started :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back