Purchase cheap gypsum/drywall lifter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By any chance, is there someone that knows were I can purchase a cheap gypsum/drywall lifter? I have searched the kompernab site but found nothing. These are the company that supplies the lidl tools.

Sponsored Links

Just to further illustrate. I found thousands of this, but these are intended for professionals that do this job for a living and therefore can afford to buy it as they would any other tool. I however just want to use it for a diy job and that's it, therefore at €300 (from local shop) it's deffo not worth it. I searched the net but at the end I always end up with something dearer especially when adding up postage and delivery to Malta. 2 weeks ago I was speaking to gypsum boards shop assistant that recalls that he sold material to a guy doing a diy job that had bought one from a place in Germany over the internet and claimed it cost him included P&P €115. That would be a steal for me.

Sponsored Links
If it's a diy job do you need a panel lifter?
I knock up some dead mans props ( http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Dead_man_prop ) to hold the board in place, if you use smaller boards you can handle them yourself, I stupidly handle 8X4 on my own without problems. But I would not advise that it is best to have a spare pair hands, if you can muster up someone to help.
It will save you the cost of buying a piece equipment that your likely to use only once or twice then it's hanging around doing nothing.
You can also buy extendable props for about £10-15 each.

If it's a diy job do you need a panel lifter?
I knock up some dead mans props ( http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Dead_man_prop ) to hold the board in place, if you use smaller boards you can handle them yourself, I stupidly handle 8X4 on my own without problems. But I would not advise that it is best to have a spare pair hands, if you can muster up someone to help.
It will save you the cost of buying a piece equipment that your likely to use only once or twice then it's hanging around doing nothing.
You can also buy extendable props for about £10-15 each.

Thanks for the info. I judt thought if I found a very cheap one LIDL style I'd just buy it. However failing that I found a very ingenius way to build a very cheap but very efficient alternative on a diy video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkrRblKLvJw&NR=1

I just need 4 wheels, as I have loads of left over wood that I can use for it. Then when I finish I'll just dismantle it.

I have seen that video before, quite inventive but by the time you have built the contraption, you could have your ceiling up! I still go with the dead man props and a hop up!

I have seen that video before, quite inventive but by the time you have built the contraption, you could have your ceiling up! I still go with the dead man props and a hop up!

yes in fact that one I will use as the idea, mine will be much simpler and even less expensive. maybe when I build it I'll post a pic of it. It will be grotesque, but it will jolly well do the job, trust me.

Jason - get a pair of Boardmate drywall board support tools ... £8 each. They're special brackets (small) that clip with a single screw to the ceiling joists, the plasteboard is then angled up to hook into the brackets (this is a VERY easy one man job 'cos all you are doing is tilting the p/board up), the lower end of the p/board being held in your hands is raised to it's final position by you stepping up onto a builder's trestle, it's now held up by one hand (or using a dead man's prop) whilst you fix the p/board in position with a couple of drywall screws. You then insert the rest of the screws. Finally you unclip the 2 Boardmates and reposition them for the next sheet - the clever design allows for the correct gap for adjacent sheets.

I got mine about 5 years ago - these things are a brilliant aid to one man p/board fixing!!! An 8 x 4 sheet can be lifted to the ceiling, positioned and then fixed in maybe 5 mins.

Jason - get a pair of Boardmate drywall board support tools ... £8 each. They're special brackets (small) that clip with a single screw to the ceiling joists, the plasteboard is then angled up to hook into the brackets (this is a VERY easy one man job 'cos all you are doing is tilting the p/board up), the lower end of the p/board being held in your hands is raised to it's final position by you stepping up onto a builder's trestle, it's now held up by one hand (or using a dead man's prop) whilst you fix the p/board in position with a couple of drywall screws. You then insert the rest of the screws. Finally you unclip the 2 Boardmates and reposition them for the next sheet - the clever design allows for the correct gap for adjacent sheets.

I got mine about 5 years ago - these things are a brilliant aid to one man p/board fixing!!! An 8 x 4 sheet can be lifted to the ceiling, positioned and then fixed in maybe 5 mins.

You managed to convince me mate. I am buying 2 sets + the lift & lock tool + the screw bit that prevents from puncturing. I'll do it once paypal processes my visa card.

Can't wait to have the things cheers.

Jason - another tip when doing ceilings ... wear a drill holster (obviously to hold your drill when humping the p/boards) and a pouch (for the drywall screws) hanging from a belt around your waist. Just makes life a whole lot easier and avoids the grief of not having a 3rd hand to hold the drill. Glad you'll be screwing the ceiling boards and not using nails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back