Purflux diesel filter - no protective seal cap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got one for a Bora TDI of ebay.

Opened the box and noticed that only one of the spouts had a nylon cap fitted, the other and the valve port had no seals fitted to protect from contaminants during transit.

Is it safe to use ?

Sponsored Links
I've had a few deliverd like that. I can only assume that it's the inlet that they leave uncovered (the idea being that the filter itself will catch any contaminants going in there anyway). Personally, I think it's sloppy and would rather pay the extra 1p it must cost for another end cap!

ref: Personally, I think it's sloppy and would rather pay the extra 1p it must cost for another end cap!

Indeed.

I did my first shop at an Andrew Page branch today and got a MANN brand diesel filter for my Rover 45 TD. It seems excellent quality and a good price. May well use MANN filters in future.

The ebay seller who sent me the Purflux filter for the Bora had sent it instead of a Topran brand filter which I'd actully purchased because Topran is German manufacture as are VW. Purflux is French and the seller sent the Purflux because the Topran was out of stock, his claim that Purflux is better then Topran.

I've always wondered why canister oil filters are not supplied with a plastic cap on the end to prevent the ingress of contamination! I buy Comline brand oil filters for my sister's Bora which are a cartridge type and the element is always sealed in a plastic bag.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have any problems about fitting the original filter you got - quite a few seem to come that way.
Purflux are O.E filters for Peugeot and Citroen and are excellent quality. Mann and Wix seem to be the preserve of the likes of Europarts and so on, but I've seen both fitted to large marine diesels as well as trucks and cars.
I think the important point is the quality and quantity of the filtering medium and there's no way we can access that.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back