Push button flush malfunction.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Forgive me if these questions are daft, I know next to nothing about plumbing.

I've got an issue where my cistern doesn't fill and water just constantly runs in to the bowl. I think it might be the outlet as I pushed down the internal plunger/washer thingie on it just now and it filled again. So I'm either going to replace the unit or the washer on it and hope that does the trick. Is that what I should do or could it be something else too?

The other question I have is about the filing valve. When you flush the water seems to come out of the white tube at the top, is it supposed to do that? I thought it filled from the bottom?
Also, is that white tube supposed to be in the little hole in the overflow? Because it was just hanging loose outside as seen.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
If you isolate water supply your flush valve (big one in middle) should be removable. Normally turns 1/4 turn or so left or right and lifts out. There could be some crud stopping it from closing fully. Give it a good clean up and refit and test.

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to get it out earlier, the washer has bubbled up which I assume is the issue. Problem I have now reinstalling the cistern, as there are leaks from somewhere (I stupidly removed the whole thing :().

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to get it out earlier, the washer has bubbled up which I assume is the issue. Problem I have now reinstalling the cistern, as there are leaks from somewhere (I stupidly removed the whole thing :().

Always the case I'm afraid. Does it leak when you flush it or all the time. If when flushed it'll be the doughnut underneath that's now seated slightly differently. If all the time it's probably the inlet side.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure because it's all disassembled again. The main leak was from one of the fixing bolts but the doughnut was wet though. I think it's that the cistern isn't totally square and as you say the water has come up through the doughnut.
I'm going to the local plumbers merchants tomorrow and seeing if they've got a new doughnut, washer etc. I'll give it one more go and if it doesn't work then I'll just call a plumber.

A two minute repair that should've cost a quid or so :D:rolleyes:

So you just need a new doughnut and a close coupled fixing kit which will have new seals.

Make sure the doughnut is the same size. Take your old one with you.

Yeah that's what I'm planning, hopefully they'll have what I need but it is a non standard size (2.5 inch hole in the cistern).

Thanks for your help (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back