Push button toilet wasting water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a push button toilet and after you flush it fills up the bowl very slowly. In fact you can always see water leaking into the bowl (gentle trickle of water). I have taken the cistern lid off and every now again you can see bubbles coming from the bottom of the mechanism on the left side (I guess its the one letting in water as the flush mechanism is in the middle). Now I'm not sure if its doing this every now and then because the flush side has a leak which is leaking into the bowl. Anyone have any ideas? Is it easy to take out the flush mechanism in the middle? My toliet seems to be completely enclosed and tiled in as a unit and I can't see where i can turn the water off from for it.

Any ideas suggestions would be appreciated.
Happy New Year!

Sponsored Links
Now I'm not sure if its doing this every now and then because the flush side has a leak which is leaking into the bowl.
Your diagnosis is correct.

If the toilet is fed from the mains, then turn off your main stop cock.

If from a tank, then you might find a valve on the supply from the tank.

You can do this job without shutting off though.

The flush valve either twists to release it or unclips. If you post a picture then it will be simple to tell you which type it is.

After removing it, gently remove all scale and debris from the face of the soft rubber washer at the bottom. If you scoosh away all the debris in the bottom of the cistern then it won't happen again quite so soon.

Like Softus says that model twists off and you will see a rubber seal at the bottom of the section which comes away.
Ensure this is clean of limescale and then ensure where it seats is also clean.

Pete

Sponsored Links
Hi,

thanks I have taken it off and cleaned all the limescale from the rubber washer bit. I have put it back on but after flushing it still seems to have a small trickle of water coming into the bowl even an hour after flushing(although it looks less of a trickle now). Could it be getting in through the bottom of the flush unit? We were left a replacement in our loft by the previuos owners but it is a different model and I don't know how to get to underneath the cistern to fix it (will prbably involve removing some tiles which I would like to avoid). I was just thinking if maybe it could be leaking in through the bottom of this unit?

Would do you think.

Regards,
James

I would say it was leaking from where the rubber seats closed.

However you can take it off again and just fill enough water up to the lip of the seat and see if the water seeps into the pan from below this point.
If not go and buy the same flush unit and just use the top section.

I am not sure if you can just purchase the rubber.

Pete

Take it off again and clean it again, and while it's off scrape your fingermail or something similar (nothing metal, mind) around the lip of the seat. I predict you'll find some scale on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back