Push button toilet !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry another quickie - got a toilet leaking water into pan slowly but continous - it's a push button cistern - can I put a new valve in (Wirquin one looks ok) - as not sure what original valve is....? Think it's 1 1/2" outlet but will wirquin drop valve be ok ?

Sponsored Links
Sorry another quickie - got a toilet leaking water into pan slowly but continous - it's a push button cistern - can I put a new valve in (Wirquin one looks ok) - as not sure what original valve is....? Think it's 1 1/2" outlet but will wirquin drop valve be ok ?

Adjust the overflow...

you can fit another valve into your cistern but before going down that route check the rubber seal on the bottom of your flush valve first.
sometimes they only need the scale cleaning off them or over they they can distort causing them to bow and not seal fully.

As for Wirquin flush valves i'm not struck on you'll be better off with a fluidmaster valve that is a copy of an original macdee arcadia valve.

Thanks for your help

Reason I said Wirquin is as I have used before and button/tube is good - I'll give it a good clean first as suggested as could be the cause - what's the best way? Just a good old fashioned wipe?!

PS I used variflush valve before and was not so good !

Isn't Fluidmaster a float valve?

Sponsored Links
if you split the flush valve by twisting it you can get to the washer at the bottom and just washing it under the tap and also check to see it it has started to bow.

this is a fluidmaster valve.
as said same as the macdee.
Fluidmaster_550_valve.gif

depending what one you have most just twist 1/4 turn.
leave washer on valve to wash it
isolate water if you can or hold float valve up, cause as soon as you remove flush valve water will just constantly keep running down the pan.

have you a pic of the valve ?

no camera mate sorry! :(

thanks for help I really appreciate it

do you mean twist the upper part? :oops:

I'll turn off water, remove and clean

If I do have to replace whole valve - it is a close dcoupled wc - any tips to make sure no leaks from wign nut holes? as I have had that before in the past :(

do you mean twist the upper part? :oops:
yes

If I do have to replace whole valve - it is a close dcoupled wc - any tips to make sure no leaks from wign nut holes? as I have had that before in the past :(

i take it your wing nut bolts go through the bottom of the cistern then so you can see the heads ?
and are not fixed to a plate under cistern.

there is a plate under the cistern - i can see the nut heads (wing nuts) - there's a donut washer in betwene cistern and pan

so if your wing nut bolts fix to a plate and not through the base off cistern you won't get any trouble with leaks, just the do-nut washer may need replacing.

p1077886_x.jpg

this is a cistern with the bolts through the base of cistern and can cause leaks.
cistern_2.jpg

Sorry to interrupt post but I have had toielts leaking from wing nut holes in cistern with brakcet as shown above - not always donut washer that causes it but the rubber washer over wing nut holes - wrap ptfe around washer and donb't over tighten !

what i useally do is fit the bolt and the plastic cone in through the cistern, then under cistern fill the hole with clear silicone, then fit the washer/nut and tighten in the cistern.
then fit cistern to pan.

so if the plastic cone don't fit tight which is most times the water still can't pass the silicone plug. ;)

Sorry to interrupt post but I have had toielts leaking from wing nut holes in cistern with brakcet as shown above

if the toilet has the bracket fitted then the bolts shouldn't go into the cistern, as that bracket is only to hold the bolts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back