Push-fit joints and radiator leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new system boiler installed with plastic push fit pipework throughout. Everything seemed fine until i noticed leaks in my ceiling and walls. Managed to find the cause which was a push fit joint in the bathroom above. because the plumber that installed the system would not answer their phone, i took it upon myself to tighten the connection. The connection initially was seeping rather that gushing and managed to reduce the leakage. The walls are drying up but when i put my hand around the join it still feels moist.

Will the joint seal itself somehow or do i have to to replace the joint?

Similar scenario elsewhere in the house where suddenly a straight joint suddenly gushed out water randomly and when tighhted by hand reduced the leak. i subsequently noticed the connection to be moist and still the same when tightened with a wrench.

Any suggestions please? Is the likelihood of any other joint under the floor boards leaking aswell, that i dont know about???

Sponsored Links
What type of push fit fittings are they?

I don't know of any that need tightening to seal.

sorry to here you've been cowboy'd, drain down and pressure test would be a good idea, if you hand tighten the joints and they still leak they will need replacing as push fit only needs hand tightening.

Sponsored Links
They are the white speedyfit fittings. I think i am going to have to get someone else in to verify the previous plumbers work. Rather annoying as i chose the plumbers based on Gas Safe register and recommendation. Not annoyed by the leaks as we all make mistakes and sometimes cannot foresee fitting faults, but truly frustrated with the response or lack of. Customer service is one of the most important things.

Will a pressure test find any leaks even if the joints are seeping? Should i suggest this to the new plumber? and will this find any other areas of seepage that i dont know of yet as this is my worry right now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back