Push fit v Solder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,
I'm installing a shower in our bathroom in moving a rad. My soldering skills are not the best and I'm not sure I'd be that confident having them sitting in a wall cavity and below a tiled timber floor.

What are people's views on using decent quality push fit instead?

Sponsored Links
A properly done solder joint will last indefinitely. You'll be able to check it's not leaking before you close up the wall and it's unlikely to start leaking at a later date.

Push fit relies on water pressure and o rings to make the seal. They will not last as long and can start to leak at a later date even though they didn't leak on first install.

Some will say that push fit is just as reliable as a compression joint, but I personally don't trust it.

Yup! Lower is spot on solder is the way to go. Solder ring fittings are much easier to use than end feed for a DIY'er, to be fair I prefer them myself the main reason you see pros using end feed for a CH installation or bathroom is cost. Some say they are neater too but in most cases you would not notice the fitting anyway.
Only thing is to use a heat mat to protect any combustible material and you can give the timber a light damping down with a hand held sprayer usually a couple of quid in any DIY store.
Check for a continuous solder ring after heating around the back with a mirror.

The biggest problem with soldering joints is setting surrounding stuff on fire!

a) use wire wool to clean

b) use flux

those are the most important things, anything else is secondary. It's the same with soldering electronic components - a layer of oxide, dirt or grease will bugger it all - no amount of shoving on more flux or more heat will make good.

Practice first on some bits of pipe in a vice.

CLEANLINESS is the key.

After this, you don't need lashings of solder at all, keep in mind the gap between the fitting and pipe is very thin indeed, capiliary action "sucks" the liquid in to the area inside the fittings - Any solder you actually see external to the fitting is too much.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back