Pushfit for chrome/copper/brass pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought what I thought was chrome plated copper pipe (15mm) from screwfix to use with a radiator.
I used an emery cloth on one end of the pipe to remove the chrome plating and expected to find copper pipe underneath.
At first, copper appeared but then that started disappearing and beneath that was what appears to be brass.
It looks like the pipe is brass plated in copper and then plated in chrome.
So my question is, what fittings are safe to use with this brass pipe?
Will compression work (brass olive)?
Will push fit work?
Will solder joints work?

pipe.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's a surprise, I wouldn't expect the pipe to be brass.

All three could be used, as long as the chrome is removed. If ever possible always go for solder or compression. Brass is harder that copper so pushfit may not be advised unless you can pressure test to bed the fitting.

If they are selling it as copper, it will be copper. There's no logical reason for it to be brass, either.

Don't worry Screwfix's is Wednesbury copper pipe. Clean copper is PINK.
There may be a flash of nickel on the copper.
Brass is yellow though.
The teeth on a pushfit fitting are stainless steel and harder than those.

If you want to clean chromed pipe for soldering, you have to be pretty neat about your cleaning. You can use an emery belt, or a fine file.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry Screwfix's is Wednesbury copper pipe. Clean copper is PINK.
There may be a flash of nickel on the copper.
Brass is yellow though.
The teeth on a pushfit fitting are stainless steel and harder than those.

If you want to clean chromed pipe for soldering, you have to be pretty neat about your cleaning. You can use an emery belt, or a fine file.
I find it difficult to believe the pipe is copper.
Here's another image. You can see the graduation from chrome to copper to brass. I've included both a copper olive and a brass olive for comparison.
pipe2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back