pushing loft insulation under floor, Electric wires!!

Sponsored Links
Mini trunking is small (generally square or oblong) plastic that is screwed to the wall or ceiling to carry wires on the surface.

My mate's floor is awash with redundant wires that have been a nightmare to figure out.

ah yes so thats what mini trunking is :D so like a tidy for all the wires.

Sponsored Links
ah yes so thats what mini trunking is :D so like a tidy for all the wires.
Indeed, but still an eyesore - so only really done by those not prepared to pay for the wiring to be done properly (cables hidden - in walls, below floors, above ceilings etc.).

Kind Regards, John

So who owns the floor/ceiling void between two rented flats?
You'd need to ask a lawyer - I'm not sure whether there are any conventions, either as regards 'ownership' or 'rights to use'. It's well over 40 years since I last lived in a flat, so it's not really something I've needed to know about!
Edit: I've just read your question more carefully. If the flats were rented from a common property owner/landlord, then ownership of the void, as well as of the flats themselves, would presumably rest with that property owner/landlord - and that void would essentially be no different from any other 'common areas' in the property.

Judging by the OP's pic, in his case there seems to have been 'common use' of the void, since there are, or have been, cables going through the void both to above the flooring and below the ceiling (presumably different flats).

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Judging by the OP's pic, in his case there seems to have been 'common use' of the void, since there are, or have been, cables going through the void both to above the flooring and below the ceiling (presumably different flats).
That's always (I would say always) the case in my experience even if the flats have different owners.

Unavoidable, I suppose.

That's always (I would say always) the case in my experience even if the flats have different owners. Unavoidable, I suppose.
Yes, unavoidable without lots of mini (or not so mini) trunking or something equally aesthetically unappealing.

If the flats are under different ownership, I would suspect that there are legal agreements put in place when property changes hands. When I bought my house, I had to enter into various agreements with neighbours to allow them to have water supply and drainage pipes running through my property, and vice versa.

Kind Regards, John

I was hinting too that there may be legal ramifications to doing work on a rented property without permission. Of course the OPs flat may not be rented, but doing work in the common space would still involve negotiation with someone.

Yeah the void is a tricky one. Those electrical pipes run right into my walls and under the floor as I discovered after chipping away some wall. Also their water pipes are running through my kitchen and bathroom cupboard. I don't remember signing anything in regards to this. I'm an owner and have a share of the freehold, so the owner renting it out has the same and guessing the void underneath is both our responsibility.

Though back to these wires, if they are still in use are they breaking any sort of safety regulation and will need to be checked? What action would I need to take next? Or just leave it well alone? I will contact the building management and see what they say also.

I was hinting too that there may be legal ramifications to doing work on a rented property without permission. Of course the OPs flat may not be rented, but doing work in the common space would still involve negotiation with someone.
Indeed, but I don't think there has been any suggestion that the OP intends to do any work on anything - either his flat or the one below. He has said that (on the basis of an inspection) he is happy with the safety of his flat's electrical installation, but is concerned about the wiring of the flat below (under his floorboards), and hence asked ...
These wires are bugging me. Is it illegal to have this old wiring as it may pose as a safety risk? Should I ask the landlord who rents the flat downstairs if he has had an electrical safety check?
... which sounds like a perfectly correct and appropriate approach to me.

Kind Regards, John

Also their water pipes are running through my kitchen and bathroom cupboard.
What else can they do?
Yours must run through downstairs'.

I don't remember signing anything in regards to this.
It would presumably have been done when the building was built or converted and been like it when you bought it.

I don't remember signing anything in regards to this. I'm an owner and have a share of the freehold, so the owner renting it out has the same and guessing the void underneath is both our responsibility.
You may not have signed anything specific, but there could well be Covenants in the Land Certificate (or Deeds) and/or the Sale Contract which you will have signed.

Lawyers can get quite excited about multiple ownership buildings - for example, there have to be legal requirements for the owner of lower parts of the building not to do things (like removal walls!) which might compromise the structural stability of what is above them!

Kind Regards, John

but I don't think there has been any suggestion that the OP intends to do any work on anything - either his flat or the one below.
Well he was planning originally to push insulation into the void. So there was a suggestion...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back