pushing loft insulation under floor, Electric wires!!

Well he was planning originally to push insulation into the void. So there was a suggestion...
True, but I think he more-or-less abandoned that idea in message #10, after being told that loft insulation would not provide a significant acoustic barrier.

KInd Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I will only put the insulation under the radiator pipes against the wall with the radiator as this will need better heat insulation. It is a bit frustrating there is nothing between the void to block out sound as I can hear everything downstairs and I'm sure they can hear me :(

here's where I'll put the new insulation. Need to clean out all that debris the bodgers left behind when they did all the plumbing years ago. I like to know its all clean as I'm sleeping next to it all and I got OCD :D

Attachments

• WP_20161229_20_09_47_Rich.jpg
    WP_20161229_20_09_47_Rich.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 113
I will only put the insulation under the radiator pipes against the wall with the radiator as this will need better heat insulation.
Fair enough, although I don't think that will actually achieve very much.
It is a bit frustrating there is nothing between the void to block out sound as I can hear everything downstairs and I'm sure they can hear me :(
I can understand that, but doing anything (effectively) about it would, at best, be a much bigger job, not the least because it would almost certainly involve getting all of the floor up.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I will only put the insulation under the radiator pipes against the wall with the radiator as this will need better heat insulation. It is a bit frustrating there is nothing between the void to block out sound as I can hear everything downstairs and I'm sure they can hear me :(
Then take the floor up.

Other boards can easily be lifted by cutting through the tongues of the boards with a sharp knife.
Surely once the first one is up the rest come out one at a time without needing to cut the tongues....

I know from bitter experience - you can stuff as much insulation as you like between the joists. The sound is actually transmitted through the joists.
The only satisfactory way is to have alternate joists vertically offset and supporting floor and ceiling respectively, PLUS void insulation. Doing as retrofit is not practical. There may be other ways if you are prepared to raise the floor, but this has usually unacceptable ramifications.

underfelt and carpet helps. Bare boards are bad.

so does thick plaster on the ceiling with no gaps (e.g. round pipes). After having an L&P ceiling remade with thick lime plaster I was amazed at the difference. Impractical for you though if flats.

dense mineral wool batts muffle some sounds a bit, e.g. speech or TV.

Surely once the first one is up the rest come out one at a time without needing to cut the tongues....
Only if you can find a way of getting the nails out of the 'next one' - even worse if they've been nailed through the tongues.

Kind Regards, John

True. I was (yes, I know, I know) assuming that most, if not all, of the OP's boards would be fixed using cut nails through the boards into the joists.

screenshot_1058.jpg

IME a bolster under the board will lift it enough to allow the nail to be removed using pincers. Plan B is to knock them further in using a punch. In extremis a small holesaw can be used, the nails removed once the board is gone, and the holes in the boards plugged with dowels.

What I want to know how you are feeding the insulation !

This isn't a bad plan!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back