Electrical Wires and Loft Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can loft insulation be laid directly on top of wires from the Lighting circuit and inline fan without issue?

If not, where should one place the wires?

I plan to place between 100mm-300mm of insulation in the loft

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's a problem with smaller cables drawing a low current especially with modern led lights.

Blup

In the main if the cables are touching the plaster board or beams they will transmit any heat away from the cables, and the cable rating for lights is normally way over what is required anyway, so unlikely to be any problems.

So basically I can stick the insulation on top because lighting circuits carry low current?

As 1mm cable was used for the Inline fan and this is also on the lighting circuit, I assume it is the same story i.e. fine to stick insulation on top?

I have some can-less downlights in the ceiling below. I assume that one should stick the insulation around the downlight, as opposed to on top of it?

10980-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would not cover downlighters with insulation even though some of the insulations heat retaining properties will be lost.

Lids or covers are available to create a gap between fitting and insulation.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back