Spot lights with loft insulation

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know the best product to cover these lights. I'd prefer ones you don't have to cut the insulation. Just put the covers on and insulation goes over. One of the links is for loft caps, but not sure it's a selling site.
Those stall boxes I think you still have to cut the insulation

Thanks

I'm not going to folk out £200 unless I know why I'm doing it and if it's the correct route to go down. That's why I asked if you could cut holes around them (to be just told, no you can't)
Some of the lights are fire rated. So do I need still need to go down the route of any sort of caps.

The facts:
If you pile insulation over halogen downlights, they will overheat and fail. Possibly set on fire.
If you pile insulation over LED or CFL downlights, they will overheat and fail. It's less likely they will cause a fire, but not impossible.

If you cut holes in the insulation around the lights, vast amounts of heat will be lost into the roof space. This will increase your fuel bills considerably and make your rooms cold. It will not comply with building regulations.
Doing this above a bathroom will leave cold spots on the ceiling where condensation will form. This will damage the ceiling and cause mould.
If the downlights in your bathroom are not totally sealed, warm moist air will pass through the holes and cause condensation in your loft. This will cause the timber roof structure to rot, with the end result being that your roof will need to be replaced. The same applies to other structures such as flat roof extensions and vaulted ceilings.

Fire rated downlights are designed to prevent a fire in the room passing via the downlight holes into the space above. They are almost never required. You can't pile insulation over them either, because doing so will cause them to overheat and fail.

Thank you for your detailed response.
I've been looking around today. And looks like the loft caps are the best where I can put the insulation on top. Which also avoids cutting gaping holes in the new insulation.

thank you

Sponsored Links
What make are the downlights, you say they are firerated. Auroa do retro fit insulation cover that is designed for there products. And are much cheaper than using loft braces or caps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back