Spot lights with loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
(Sorry if this has been asked before, can't find anything)
We are getting loft insulation fitted (300mm) replacing our old insulation 100mm.
But we have most rooms upstairs with spot lights fitted.
Do I need to have some sort of caps put down. Or is this not the case? Can insulation just be laid straight on top of them in the loft.

Many Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
can't find anything
Really?

But we have most rooms upstairs with spot lights fitted.
How unfortunate.

They can be removed, you know.

Do I need to have some sort of caps put down. Or is this not the case? Can insulation just be laid straight on top of them in the loft.

Sponsored Links
NO, they can't.
Of course they can. :rolleyes:

So is it a legal requirement to have these fitted
It's a legal requirement to have something which allows you to have continuity of insulation over the lights. And over lights in bathrooms they need to be sealed.

Or just a massive fire hazard?
If you just pile the insulation over the lights, yes.

BTW - creating a fire hazard is illegal.

NO, they can't.
Of course they can. :rolleyes:
Well not really... 2 rooms have had cladding on the sealing. So it would mean replacing all that. A little extreme.

So is it a legal requirement to have these fitted
It's a legal requirement to have something which allows you to have continuity of insulation over the lights. And over lights in bathrooms they need to be sealed.

Or just a massive fire hazard?
If you just pile the insulation over the lights, yes.

BTW - creating a fire hazard is illegal.

Loft braces to allow ventilation and LED lamps!
With regards to legality, Part P of building regs, would suggest that it would be a legal requirement to prevent any dangers.

This looks like it may be an expensive job. Considering we have 25 spots up there. Looking around £7 and above for a loft cap.
I've seen somewhere about holes been cut around them?

Many thanks
Lea

Why can't holes be cut around them?

Isn't the insulation fire retardant? And LEDs don't get that hot?

Many thanks

Because insulation thats been turned into swiss cheese isnt insulation any more.

Why are you trying to bodge it for the sake of £150 worth of covers?

Do the job properly.

Or alternatively, get rid of the crappy lights all together, however, despite resulting in much better illumination if you fit proper lights, it will end up costing a lot more than just putting caps over whats there.

Why are some people so rude on here???

I'm trying to make an informed decision.
So I come on here to ask a question, The you get people like you.

I'm not going to folk out £200 unless I know why I'm doing it and if it's the correct route to go down. That's why I asked if you could cut holes around them (to be just told, no you can't)
Some of the lights are fire rated. So do I need still need to go down the route of any sort of caps.

But no, you just get smarmy sarcastic comments.

I'm trying to make an informed decision.
But seemingly without actually reading any of the information provided to you which would make you informed.

That's why I asked if you could cut holes around them (to be just told, no you can't)
1) When you asked why not, Aragorn explained.

2) But if you had read the posts found by the searches which EFLI and I gave you, and if you had read the articles in the list I gave you, you would have known that you could not cut holes in the insulation, and you would have known why.

Some of the lights are fire rated. So do I need still need to go down the route of any sort of caps.
Fire rated lights just contain components which swell up in a fire and block the path for the fire to spread through the lights to the next floor, or into the roof etc. They can't be covered in insulation any more than normal lights can, nor is there any guarantee that they stop airflow through them in normal operation.

It wasn't really an explanation though was it?
The company who are fitting have said they will just cut 4 inch holes around each light. So I thought I would check myself.
I will have a read of the info you sent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back