Putting a socket on a mains wire feeding a burglar alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've got a burglar alarm control box in the cupboard under the stairs. It's at least 25 years old and used until recently when I put a nice new one in. However, it's still connected to the mains - a wire emerges from the wall a foot or two below the box and goes into the bottom of the box. What I'd like to do is cut the wire, remove the box, and put a socket on the end of the wire. It can't be as easy as connecting it to one of those self-contained sockets from B&Q, can it? I'm really hoping I don't have to get an electrician in - I'm fairly handy, although my electrical experience goes as far as changing switches, lights and extending cables.

Any help would be much appreciated! And let me apologise now for what is possibly/probably a pretty stupid question.

Sponsored Links
Although Im not sure if the alarm needs double pole isolation?
Which alarm?

The new one he has installed, which replaces the old one?

Or the old one no longer in use which he is going to remove?

OTB - what is the rating of the circuit the old alarm box is on, and what is the size of the cable?

Sponsored Links
The OP has already installed that.

He now wants to use the cable supplying the old one for a socket.

The new control box is irrelevant and an unswitched FCU is not a workable alternative to a socket outlet...

Hmm I read it as the alarm has no local isolation, so I thought he was planning to put a plug and socket in for isolation. But on second thoughts you may be right ;)

Is this a dedicated circuit? If not, most alarms are on lighting circuits.

The new one is totally separate and plugged directly into a wall socket, I just want it off the wall as it's taking up space and power, and I'd like to stick something like an MK Metal Clad Switched Single Socket Aluminium 13A (from B&Q), or suchlike.

b-a-s - I'm at work now, but how would I find out the rating of the circuit?

I'm absolutely certain it's on the lighting circuit which I've switched off many times.

I'd like to stick something like an MK Metal Clad Switched Single Socket Aluminium 13A (from B&Q), or suchlike.
What do you want to use the socket for?

Is the old alarm on its own circuit or a lighting one?

Is the circuit RCD protected?

b-a-s - I'm at work now, but how would I find out the rating of the circuit?
Look at what it says on the circuit breaker, e.g. B6, B20, B32 etc.

What would you use the socket for ?

The issue is that you have id'd it as a light circuit feed which limits the total lighting circuit to 6amps at the fuse board.

Plugging in a hoover would pop the socket, as would any appliance around 6amp (maybe less if lights are on elsewhere in the circuit).

It has been known to stick a 1/2/3amp fused spur on a lighting circuit and then having a socket limited to 1/2/3 amp load. Not good practice, but not illegal and often found in lofts (to run a TV amp, alarm etc).

The key is why you want a socket and what you'd use it for.

I'm home now and it's definitely hooked up to the downstairs lights. That's fine that I can't put a socket in there - can I block/cap the wire off somehow? It actually comes out of the fuse box rather than the wall.

The alarm is a simple Yale wireless job - it's just the control box that's plugged in. Works well for me.

I'm home now and it's definitely hooked up to the downstairs lights. That's fine that I can't put a socket in there - can I block/cap the wire off somehow? It actually comes out of the fuse box rather than the wall.

The alarm is a simple Yale wireless job - it's just the control box that's plugged in. Works well for me.

What comes out of the fusebox/consumer unit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back