putting a switch on outside light????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive put a switch in the kitchen for the light outside today but the light not come on.... could be due to it being an old pir light, i dont know... what i would like to know is, is there anything wrong with how ive done it..... or does it sound like the lights nackered.. getting a new one tomorrow just incase.

method...

single socket at the back of the fridge ( there was already 2 L/N/E in) so presumed it was on the ring.. i know thats wrong to presume but dont have the tools to check..

i drilled through and ran a 2.5mm twin/earth cable to where i wanted the switch.

(the switch being a 13a fused switch but replaced the fuse with a 3a )

wired that into the supply section... then from the load section ran 1.5mm twin/earth back outside and up into the light.

is the any reason there why it shouldnt work or is it just the outside light thats faulty now?

oh yes also the back box is a metal one that had a brass earth connector so i connected 2 extra wires from there, 1 going to load earth terminal and one going to supply earth terminal..

Sponsored Links
You should never presume - see if you can borrow a tester from your college or training centre and check it properly.
Should also have been notified under part p of the building regs.
The outside light may be faulty, or you may have done something wrong. Without a tester it is stabbing in the dark - do you have 230v between L&N at the light?
I'm hoping you haven't run 1.5mm twin and earth up the wall outside :eek:
Don't know what you are trying to achieve by running 2 loops to the back box earth terminal?? Just makes it a little bit more crowded in there.

yes i have run the 1.5mm up the wall outside from the fused switch inside... take it thats not allowed.. it was a bit crowded in that box ill disconnedt the extra earths if there not needed.

It depends, personally I'd leave one of the earths in.
Nope, twin and earth isn't suitable for use directly outside.

Sponsored Links
Is this metal box subjected to the rain,if so what make is it as not many are watertight

Edit
Oh I see you drilled behind the fridge, then again to outside, sorry

well ive got 2.5 and 1.5 twin/earth cable running outside the house aabout 2 meters up.. and i joined the earth cables to the back box because i got told if its metal earth it if its a plastic back box then its not neccessary.

no the back box is inside in the wall in the kitchen.

2.5mm twin and earth isn't suitable for direct use outdoors either ;)

whats the reason for that ( curiosity)

also in your opinion does it all sound right to you as in regards being wired up and the 3a fuse ( taking the extra earths out.)

PVC flat twin and earth can deteriorate with sunlight. If it can be damaged by mechanical impact then additional measures are also required.
The concept of using a 3A FCU is sound, I'm not saying that what you have done re the 2 earth strappers to the back box is wrong, just querying what you are trying to achieve and why you have done it like this?

that makes sense i thought it was along those lines... would be better in conduit...

the metal back box had an earthing terminal attatched to it so i presumed it was best to use it.

also i got told metal box's need to be earthed where plastic ones dont..

ill take one off though if both arent required.

i just thought to join the earths up... no paticular reason. is it good practice to use at least one earth though on a metal back box or doesn't it matter?

I consider it good practice to use one strap - to earth the back box yes. However under certain circumstances it may be omitted i.e. if the accessory earths via the mounting screws, the back box has a fixed lug and the back box isn't accessable. Putting one in isn't wrong in this instance, just considered unnecessary.
Putting two in though is a new one by me. The earths inside an accessory are linked together by a metal link - just wondering if you thought they needed connected together or something??

i dont know what i thought at the time for doing it, just thought it'd be best. now i know otherwise. thanks for all your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back