Putting doorway through a 2 foot thick random stone wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking to do this job but there are varying opinions on the method.
I am doing this on the ground floor wall between house and barn. If possible I would like the doorway at the end of the wall where it meets the external wall, in other words the corner of the room.

All methods I have read refer to putting a doorway through the middle of a flat wall and not in the corner of a room. Is one way easier than the other?

I don't think that the middle wall is tied in to the external 2 foot thick wall and thought that removing the stone would be easier and with less collapsing?

Would cutting into the external wall for lintel be tricky?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
you will probs need regs for this.

Id get a engineer out too spec for the lintels 2ft thick youll need more then one lol maybe two I beams with a top plate welded on.
You have your work cut out for you there Id try and kango drill chisel out the head first to fit the lintel min over lap 150mm on pad stones may be more if needed then pack it in with a strong mix of sand cement and slate. or shims you'll probes need pad stones.

Let it all dry out then start taking out said opening

id have some acrow props and strong boys or I beam needles at the ready
You can hire a water cooled stone chainsaw id that helps to try and keep things neat.

hope this helps

Doing it in the corner would probably be easier than in the middle. Your wall is probably roughly-cut stone blocks on the outside, a random stone inner 'skin', and a core filled with rubble and quarry waste.
Depending on how thick the inner- and outer skins are, you may need one or two p/c lintels for each. The main problem I suspect will be rubbish from the core falling out from above and at the side.
Perhaps you could put a thin steel plate at the top, spanning between the tops of the inner and outer lintels. For the sides, you'd just have to mortar it up as best you can.

On a random stone wall about 18" thick I did it by removing stones where the lintels were going to be fitted, I used four concrete 2X4 lintels, get enough clearance to fit two lintels from one side using the stone you removed to make good, then when its set work from the other side and do the same, if you're using random stone do not bin any stones until you've finished, once the four lintels are in place you can then remove the stones under the lintels.

Sponsored Links
I must hasten to add that these were only 900mm apertures, also I used a nailbar to prize the stone out and you get a feel for it whether its safe or not, the job I did was out at Badminton, a 400yr old cottage, I really enjoyed doing it as it was totally different to laying bricks, one brick being much the same as the next, don't go putting your fingers where they might get crushed!

Bit more detail

Top of lintel will probably be at same height as bottom of 1st floor joists which run next to the wall so needles would have to go above first floor with boards lift for props?

Also any technique for cutting out space for lintel ends going into other wall that runs 90° to wall with doorway if I put door in corner?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back