New doorway in cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just cut a new doorway in a cavity wall, through from the kitchen into the new extension. This was originally the external wall prior to building the extension. I have two questions: 1. Do I just use concrete lintels above the door on each skin, extending 6” either side? 2. How do I make good the base of the doorway, with respect to the dpc and the existing cavity? – I assume the cavity here needs to be filled in with concrete but would need its own dpc preparation first?

Sponsored Links
P.c.c. builders lintels, with 150mm end bearing are commonly used for standard doorway openings.

The bricks should be hacked out to at least 1 course below dpc. You then line the trough with 1200 gauge polythene and make good with concrete or screed.

The vertical cavity can be bricked up with block slithers or use proprietary closers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back