Putting in a bathroom extractor fan, from scratch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking into putting an extractor fan into my bathroom and would be grateful for some basic advice. I am looking at one with a humidistat, plus an overrun timer that is started by a pull cord on the fan itself.

I have a pull light switch by the bathroom door and the light itself is located in the middle of the ceiling. I want the fan to go on the wall opposite door.

What are my options are wiring it in?

1. Do I have to run a dedicated feed from my fusebox?
2. If not - I assume I can then power it from the ceiling rose. If so, should I use an isolator switch outside the room or can I have a pull switch isolator in the bathroom?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
it is usual to feed from the light. You can pick up the supply from the ceiling rose easily if you have access from above, such as a loft. You should not need a new circuit. Most often the "manual on" is done using the lightswitch.
This reduces odours in the room, not just humidity. Modern fans of reasonable quality have ball-bearing motors and are very quiet.

If you have steamy showers in this room, consider a ducted inline fan mounted in the loft above. It is quieter and much more powerful than a typical wall fan. The duct must exit the house, through a hole in a wall or the eaves.

An isolator for maintenance can be fitted inside the bathroom, outside zones, but IMO the best place is above the bathroom door, outside the bathroom. It is easily visible and accessible, but less likely to be fiddled with by inquisitive fingers, and out of reach of spray or splashes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back