Putting in a drive way to a slopped bank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I would really appreciate any help on this. My mum lives in a corner semi-detached house. She has no parking to the rear and has to share parking in a small car park. It is always a complete nightmare with people getting blocked in and vehicles being abandoned. She has a very spacious side garden and I am keen to investigate if we would be able to put in a drive.

The only catch is:
1. The bank is quite steep
2. There are a number of telegraph poles carrying power and telephone lines

I have annotated a couple of pictures to help any contributes in understanding what is where.

Purple denotes her boundary line

Yellow denotes power lines - note some run under the road and up to the first telegraph pole. There is a second telegraph pole closer to her conifers.

Red denotes telephone lines

As far as I am aware, the only underground cabling/piping is the power wiring for the first telegraph pole.
Am I wasting my time looking into this?

Photo%2014-01-2017%2016%2034%2036_zps2wr0hb9l.jpg

Photo%2014-01-2017%2016%2034%2017_zps9rmwsdfy.jpg

Sponsored Links
You would need to speak to council as any road access would have to be done by them.

Sponsored Links
You would need to speak to council as any road access would have to be done by them.
Ok thank you. Presumably, that will cost. Any ideas if it is expensive? Just want to get an idea of feasibility.

Are you saying you want to create an access up that bank and into your Mum's garden.
If so I can categorically tell you that you have absolutely zero chance.
Who owns the bank anyway.
You will never get permission to create a vehicular access onto that road and especially not at a junction like that.
Even if you could get permission, which you won't, the legal side alone would probably run into 10's of thousands of pounds.

Just forget it

I would agree with chappers really but your council will publish very clear rules for creating a vehicle crossing and they will be unlikely deviate from their rule book much so it's pretty easy to determine if an application will be successful or not.

Or you could ask them if they would sell her the banking first, that might solve some of the planning issues as long as you were coming out onto the side road & not the main one. The only thing that puzzles me is why the developers built the way they have in the first place as that might have been a planning stipulation to avoid more than one access point onto the road.

Or you could ask them if they would sell her the banking first, that might solve some of the planning issues as long as you were coming out onto the side road & not the main one. The only thing that puzzles me is why the developers built the way they have in the first place as that might have been a planning stipulation to avoid more than one access point onto the road.
It won't solve any planning issue's, the proximity to the junction will likely scupper any application, besides its a highways application not a planning application. But the OP needs to find the rules on his councils website which will also identity the type of highway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back