Putting in a universal beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Over the next few days I am putting in a universal beam to make an opening into my new extension. I have done this several times before on single skin walls, but this is the old exterior wall and so is double skin. The beam is 195cm long and really 2 beams held together with spacers. (it hasnt arrived yet though).
I am planning to use props and strongboys to support the wall - and I am guessing I need to use at least 2 props on the inside skin and another 2 for the outside?
What really worries me is that with strongboys on the outside and inside I cant see how there will be room to manoeuvre the beam into place, especially as it will weigh 60kg. Any suggestions please?

Cheers, David

Sponsored Links
it is always best to "needle"the masonry higher up above where you are working

Thanks for your reply Noseall,
higher up is not accessible due to the ceilings on each side, which will be only 2 courses of brick above the top of new beam.
Is it worth trying to put the needles through these? By needle I am guessing you mean a decent piece of metal through both walls supported on each side with a prop?
Is it necessary to support the joists on each side of the wall in addition to the strongboys, or will the 4 strongboys suffice?

ITs ground floor so props stand on concrete. I dont want it to fall down, but dont want to go to OTT either.

Many thanks
David

Sponsored Links
in the past we have had to remove the skirting board from the room above and send the needles through and on to the upstairs floor boards.

better to be safe than sorry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back