Hints on installing RSJ's, how and when?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, Been lurking for some time...but now thought I ask for some direct advice.
My background has some building in it, but all in wood(i'm from NZ)

I have 2 load bearing brick walls to remove....and have all the approvals and SE reports.

So just looking for a little bit of Know how now...!

I have acrow props and strongboys as needed and got padstones few days ago...now what? I remove bricks, install padstones then put beam in? or install beam with props then install padstone (not loaded)to get height right? How do you get the beams in if the padstones is at perfect height.
How do you morter above beam once in?

Any advice would be a delight... :D

PS, Is Noseall in Suicide Valley(Gnosall), Staffordshire?

Sponsored Links
prop walls above and clear of the working area.

remove the masonry, leaving the support nibs (if required) in place.

offer the beam dry, onto the support nibs or walls. you can then put a bed of mortar on top of the beam and using two spare acros, jack it into place, squeezing out any surplus mortar.

with the acros still in place you can now deal with the padstones and any fallen masonry above the beam.

remove strong boy props and make good any holes remaining.

i'm not a million miles from Gnosall, but i call myself 'noseall' cause i have a big nose. or, all nose!

Thanks for your advice,

If the beam runs parallel into a Single course wall, should the padstone be, short side along the wall, or long side down the wall(can i put it on it's end?) and how much beam contact on the padstone? Understand?

I'm in Gnosall, had 3 builders come to quote, some took SE's drawings, heard nothing since, a month ago!

Xmas Wishes

Nel5on

Sponsored Links
a typical padstone would be, say 1 brick long by two or even three courses deep.

if the steel beam entered the wall at 90 degrees then you would expect the padstone to protrude past the steel beam by at least 150mm each side. so if the flange of the steel is 100 mm wide then the padstone will be say 400mm wide.

we use pre cast concrete builders lintels and simply cut them down to suit bedding one on top of the other with mortar.

give the s.e. a ring and i'm sure he will put you at ease.

You've got a big heart too bud.

Roughcaster.

cheers Rough. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back