Putting lintel in chimney/ installing log burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
**EDIT: I'm going to crack on with plan A (below) over the next day or two. If anyone thinks I'm going to be making a big mistake or has any input. PLEASE let me know :D**

Hello
I've recently taken out a fireplace in my Victorian property and removed a lot of the "rubbish" they'd used to insulate it. The front of the chimney is supported by a steel lintel with a single skin of brick above (these bricks are quite loose). Inside the chimney I now have some unsupported mid-feathers on both sides and want to secure them with a 1.2m lintel. Unfortunately the midfeathers do not seem to be at the same level as the brickwork at either side of the fireplace meaning simply removing the mortar from a brick at either side and putting the lintel in will still leave a gap of 10 - 20mm above the lintel. I have taken two pictures to show the situation.

Any advice on what is the best way forward please?

Cheers

Nick

127000_126005_14258_91941102_thumb.jpg

127000_126005_14259_89777777_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back