putting up lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Making (slow!) progress on my first room in updating my bungalow. Have prepared all the walls ready for putting up lining paper and then painting. Have spent hours filling and sanding so think I have got a pretty good finish. Have sealed large areas of new plaster and filler with PVA and also sized walls ready for papering. I've bought 1000 grade lining paper - there seems to be mixed views on this and I am starting to wonder if it might be a bit too heavy and thick, especially as have two large windows with reveals that will need papering . So for all you experts out there will this weight paper be difficult to handle? If it should be okay, how long should I soak it for - advice says soak each piece for same time but not how long!

Any advice greatly appreciated

thanks

Ronnie

Sponsored Links
Hi.. If i'm on a quality job and walls not too bad but still need lining. I like to line walls twice with 600 weight, the first paper can then be checked for blemishes which you have a good chance to rectify (fill/sand) before next lining. Gives quite a nice finish.
The 1000 weight is ok on strait walls, but remember that an eye lash will show up worse under the thicker paper and more troublesome to rub out before painting. Also thicker paper round uneven window reveals and corners, where the paper can't go round tru it can come unstuck(when it dries out) down the angle and look quite frumpy. Usually 10 mins soaking for 1000 g. Make the paste stronger than it says on box..
good luck.

Hi.. If i'm on a quality job and walls not too bad but still need lining. I like to line walls twice with 600 weight, the first paper can then be checked for blemishes which you have a good chance to rectify (fill/sand) before next lining. Gives quite a nice finish.

This might sound a bit fick here CC, but instead of lining twice using 600, wouldnt it be better to line with 1000 or even 1200?
You seem to be making more work for yourself. :confused:

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate you are a perfectionist, I am too, but even I would'nt line twice unless it was absolutely necessary. :D

Veronica, 1000 might seem too thick to you, as you are a diyer and its probably your first time of using it, but after hanging a few lengths you will get used to it.
Just remember to soak each length for approx 7-10 mins till it feels supple. :D

Sponsored Links
I can see where your coming from Spicey poos...

But I do the same too...600 has a smoother finish then 1000 grade and is fine for painting over.

Having said that it can be a bit of a pig to hang...800 is a bit easier and a compromise.

7 litres of water to one trade bag of paste..7 mins soaking...ish!

Well I did say quality job spice..lol
Thing about 1000 + grade is if you miss a tiny speck on prep.. the thicker paper makes it more pronounced , same with letting thicker paper round into reveals/ external corners, can look a bit frumpy on untru angles.

Oh all right then 800 :LOL:

Hi there

Well I've made a start and hung 8 lengths of paper today. Did find it a bit awkward to use, especially cutting at the ceiling as it was hard to get a well defined crease to cut along and also tricky around the socket, where there is a slight tear, despite removing the faceplate. So I'll keep going for this room but maybe the next one I'll use 800 - the prep was worth doing and overall I'm pleased with the result though not looking forward to doing the window reveals.

Thanks again for advice

Ronnie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back