Putting up shelf - worried about electrical cables.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put up a shelf but realise that electrical cables are a concern. There are loads of these ac detector things but they have mixed reviews. Can anyone recommned a decent ac detector that is easy to use?

Sponsored Links
Are there are wall lights above where the shelf will be (or in close proximity)? And the same for sockets etc below where the shelf will sit?

Is it a concrete or solid floor?

Is in the cupboard storage under the stairs, where the electrical consumer unit is. There is no light switch or sockets in there and is suspended floor.

Moonman, in that situation I do not have the experience to advise you any further - sorry. Why don't you re-post on the electricans forum - I am sure they will give you good advice.

Sponsored Links
Moonman - procede with caution.

You could drill into your infused incoming power cables.

I would be tempted to make a big enough hole to get a torch/mirror through so I can map the entire rear of the wall & any cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back