Putting up simple shelving on an uneven wall in garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been tasked in my off time by my step father to put up some simple shelves in the garage. It's been a long time since I did wood technology in school and I'm pretty out of practise.

The floor is solid concrete, the wall looks to have been old sandstone that's been covered in concrete, however who ever did this has done a very uneven job.

Above is a very simple design of what I'd like to do. However, I'm not totally sure what type of joints to to fix the pieces of wood together. I assume to fit it to the wall I'll just use a wall drill bit, fit some plugs and then screw in the main 3 vertical posts.

Sponsored Links
Just make a free standing shelf unit with 18mm ply and screw together using stretcher plates then secure to wall [set level].Will only need a couple of fixings if it's sitting level.
Don't sit base on garage floor will get damp, only take sides to floor and leave bottom shelf off floor by a couple of inches [50mm].

yep as foxhole says :D

i use scaffold boards cut a 2degree angle on the base off the legs to make them lean back
they wont need supporting until the span exceeds 2m with all but the heaviest stuff then support at 1.m-1.4m dependant on span

scaffold boards are around 40mm thick 227 wide and 10 or 13ft long[3m or 3.9m]

Sponsored Links
Unless you have the timber lying around by the time you have bought all you need, the chances are it's easier, cheaper and quicker to buy some metal shelving from a DIY shed.

Pop a couple of screws with a penny washer through the bolt holes in the angle supports into the wall just to stop it falling forward.

It will hold most stuff, if you have any extremely heavy items bolt some lengths of the adjustable shelving mounting track across under front and back of the shelf.

Best wishes,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back