Putting wide shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got to put up a wide shelf (1 metre wide and room is 2 metres ). Taking down these little ones first .

What sized batons should I use to hold it up and what wood? Osb?
20190917_143211.jpg

Sponsored Links
OSB aint very pretty - maybe consider birch faced ply with a lipping?
MDF would need a good few gallows brackets if youre going to load it - it’ll sag otherwise.
John :)

OSB aint very pretty - maybe consider birch faced ply with a lipping?
MDF would need a good few gallows brackets if youre going to load it - it’ll sag otherwise.

I could use brackets whatever's best?

Those gallows brackets in your pic look good to me.....it depends on how deep the shelves need to be, of course.

Sponsored Links
Those gallows brackets in your pic look good to me.....it depends on how deep the shelves need to be, of course.
The shelves will be 1 metre. Thats my worry. But it'll run from the wall on the left to the wall on the right and also along wall above door. Three walls Is it doable?

It's for storage. How about 4 by 2 running across on top of baton so shelf doesn't bow then shelf put on top of these?

If your shelves are to be one metre deep, I think you'll have to consider supporting from the floor with verticals if there is to be any weight at all......there will be one hell of a cantilever effect from the weight of the shelves alone.
What you propose is possible, with say 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" bearers along the walls......I don't think 4x2 is necessary but there's nothing to stop you!

How about these brackets( 300mm x350mm) supporting 450 melamine board?
15693189352367955890702076740806.jpg
15693189726673322938158566715700.jpg

At 1m deep, I would be looking toward suspending by steel wires from above, from the joists supporting the front edge. Along with a wooden baton along the walls to provide support at the wall, you could even reuse those gallows brackets instead.

Why does it have to be 1 metre deep? It's almost a mezzanine floor!
How would you get to anything at the back?

Why does it have to be 1 metre deep? It's almost a mezzanine floor!
How would you get to anything at the back?

It was for storage but changed mind it's now 45cm deep on strong brackets. Mezzanine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back