Best wood for shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to build a shelf that will sit inside a recess formed by a chimney breast and wonder what the best wood to use is?

I had planned on building a ladder frame and adding a top and bottom.

The width of the shelf is quite wide, approx 10ft

It will be pained white a bit like the attached image so no need to have raw wood showing.

Attachments

• floating_shelves_in_alcoves_by_londoncarpenter.co.uk.jpg
    floating_shelves_in_alcoves_by_londoncarpenter.co.uk.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 761
Sponsored Links
Thats a very think shelf. I would use 18mm MDF, cheap and easy to paint. 10 ft would need some support though.

You will need it breaking up into two or three sections , 10ft is too long unless you intend steel reinforcements.

If you'd like to see the effect of weight in terms of shelf deflection, key-in the data on the shelf sizes and materials to the Sagulator. According to that a 10ft long shelf some 300mm wide and made from 25mm MR-MDF and loaded with 60 kg of books will droop 1.7in or 43mm in the middle.... So either put in more uprights (to shorten the shelves) or go for a floating shelf type approach

Sponsored Links
OK so I actually measured the s[ace instead of guessing - it's no where near 10ft :/

it's 2m pretty much exact. Does that change things?

IMG_5853.jpg
Not really no i would span max 60cm with 18mm MDF maybe 75cm with 25mm. Unless you get stupidly thick shelving 2m is too wide without support, or as suggested above a floating shelf but more expensive.

Above is one I built a few years ago.

OK thanks - this is the construction I was thinking of doing:
dVKY3.jpg

We can't really have any supports going downwards so I guess a floating shelf system is my only option?

We want it similar to the bottom shelf in this photo:

floating+shelves.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back