Suitable wood for a long shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on building a shelf spanning over 4 meters & am looking for advice on what material to use. I think I've solved the issue of how to mount the shelf thanks to replies to my question in general questions. A quick run down is that I think i should be able to carry the weight across the span using 250mm/200mm fluted angle brackets fitted every 300-400mm apart with the shelves split into 2 sections of around 2 m.

My question is what type of wood would give the best rigidity? I'm not too concerned about the finish as I plan on finishing it to look like the wall. Would I be best of with blockboard with a finishing strip to the edge or a solid plank of wood? I intend to use the shelf to store magazines & books so the weight will be sustantial: I measured a 200mm high stack of magazines & it came in at 11kg so 55kg per meter.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hardwood, the thicker, the better. You'd probably be best searching in woodyards.

Have a look around some reclamation yards, you might find a whacking great big piece of skirting board that with a bit of modification, would suit you.

I am in the process of doing something similar, but having three shelves.
I used MDF and had it cut to size out of a 8 x 4 sheet (Homebase and no charge)
I have run my router along the edge to give a more elegant finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back