which wood for wooden shelfs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I have just built a 5.4m long shed and i plan to use one side of that for shelfs for storage.

So i need around 5.4m length of wood. I know i wont get that long wood, but i was wondering which is best wood for this?

Ideally i was also hoping it to be 1m depth can be flexible on this but wanted around that mark.

It will be used for heavy duty stuff like crates or drink cans or or washing detergents etc but in bulk if you get the gist?

so what i am after is whats best wood for this and what is best brackets for this? and how much interval would i need bracket?

I was thinking 2 layers of shelfs

Sponsored Links
I'd consider exterior ply 22 or 25mm thick, ripped from 8x4' sheets, and have a timber bearer on the shed wall for them to rest on. However, with that sort of depth there will be a huge cantilever force trying to make them collapse so some vertical support on the front, standing on the floor, would be essential.
Maybe check out some of the designs that the likes of Bigdug have to offer?
John :)

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back