Pressure-treated wood indoor shelf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering if there is any danger to having pressure-treated wood indoors in my home.

I built a floating shelf with three different types of wood (see pics):

- the skeleton frame to hold the shelf that gets mounted on the wall was from C16/24 pressure-treated 2x4s
- the top and bottom of the box/shelf itself was of regular non-treated wood for indoor use
- the front and sides of the box/shelf was made from a fence board/slat, which I assume is treated

You can see the outer box goes over the inner 2x4 frame and the outerwood was all stained with an indoor-type stain.

I remember reading that pressure-treated wood is not dangerous if you are not using it for cutting boards or food surfaces, but I have also read some conflicting things and am wondering if I need to re-do this shelf in a safer way.

Is there any danger to this in terms of air quality?

Attachments

• shelf_3.png
    shelf_3.png
    490 KB · Views: 37
  • shelf_2.png
    shelf_2.png
    699 KB · Views: 40
  • shelf_1.png
    shelf_1.png
    392.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just make sure the timber is completely dry before installing. Minimise all dust from the timber when drilling, cutting and the like. Apply a primer coat all over the timber before finally fixing in place.
If you are using where food is stored then at least 2 coats of top coat (gloss) before using - possibly use a lining paper or oil cloth as well on upper surfaces.

Thanks for your response. I've actually already built this shelf, 2.5 years ago, actually.

I remember checking then and finding the 'cutting boards' and food thing and thinking it was okay, but was just getting worried recently again really wanting to make sure this was okay or if I need to change it out now.

The inner timber has no coat of anything. I just used stain on the outer wood box/shelf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back